Step 2: What kind of Cell Phone Novel do I want to write?

You have found your topic and the way you want to update. Now comes probably the most difficult part: What kind of CPN do I want to write? Although there are no pre-defined types of cell phone novels, they can be somewhat broken down. 

Whether it is about romance, school, slice-of-life etc. CPNs may be freely written about different genres. It is indeed true that most well-known CPNs from Japan (such as Deep Love, Koizora, Kimi no Sei and so on) do have something in common: topics.

Typically set in the high-school world, it's very common to find young protagonists dealing with first love, problems regarding the family environment, losing themselves in deep thoughts typical for a teenager, and then delicate topics do appear: from violence to rape, from abortion to sickness, from drug addiction to bullying... that was the main, hidden meaning behind the existence of the first CPNs born in Japan.

But... how to start? How can an amateur start this adventure into the universe of CPNs?

First rule: Read other authors' CPNs.

In order to have a well-described idea of what CPNs are, how they are structured, which POVs are used, which writing style authors use etc., it is a good idea to read what other CPN Novelists write about. Read as many CPNs as possible. Our community has a reading list from which you can choose according to a particular genre. Choose the ones you can take inspirations from, and when you're done, then start writing your own CPN!

Beware: Do not copy, be only inspired! And let your imagination go wild!

Second rule: Title.

Okay, choosing a title is one of the first hindrances. How to overcome it? How can you come up with a good title for a CPN? One solution is get inspiration from something related to the work, e.g. the main theme, a song, the name of the protagonist, a metaphor, a sentence from a poem, or... even paradoxes are accepted. And if you have some trouble searching for a title within the inner part of your mind, then feel free to look up a "Book Title Generator", there are a bunch of them on the net, concerning different genres and adjectives, and even one-line title can be given.

More tips? Then, what about a title written in a complete different language? CPNs are one of the most popular and modern literature in Japan, so why not? Even languages may play a fundamental role not only regarding titles, but also the contents of a CPN. What about using sentences concerning your mother tongue? Or... a made-up language?

Third rule: POV (Point Of View).

In most CPNs what prevails is the 1st POV: the protagonist takes the main spotlight. Their thoughts are examined, what lies within their heart is shown to the reader, who may recognize themselves in the protagonist. But that is no mandatory rule. What about the 2nd POV? Or the 3rd one? Authors fancy for what is new, and it is no surprise that some of them have tried to write CPNs in the 3rd POV.

Beware of limits related to POVs! Be sure to use the right person, verb and time/space event. It is important to distinguish a good written work which makes sense from another one badly written flying in a mumbo-jumbo land.

Nothing prevents from writing what you want! Understood? It's all about imagination!