Chapter Five: "Father, please"

Nate's P.O.V

My father’s office is quite large.

A mahogany monstrosity of a desk sits toward the back of the room, a desk light at each end, piles of paper work scattered across the surface. Two big filling cabinets sit against the back wall behind the desk, the drawers most likely full of folders and papers, a black high back leather chair is behind the desk and that's where I find my father sitting, he appears to have aged ten years since I saw him last night at dinner.

Along the left side of the room varnished wooden shelves sit some lined with books, others with weapons or little statues. On the right side of the room four paintings my mother did hang on the wall, the first one is of a large copper brown wolf standing tall and proud in a field of long grass his head tilted toward the sky - my father. The second is of a brown wolf lying beneath a line of trees, her brown eyes staring straight ahead - my mother. The third is of me in my wolf form, I'm standing in a field of long grass my long light brown fur is reflecting the sun, my big head is pointed forward but cocked to the side copper brown eyes staring questioningly ahead. The fourth is of my brother Trick, he's sitting in the field of grass, brown coat shining within the rays of the sun, his head is straight forward copper brown eyes laughing, his tongue is hanging out of his mouth as he laughs inwardly at something. Further along the wall is a fifth empty space where the painting of my sister in her wolf form will go.

I focus my attention back onto my father, who probably has been staring at me since I walked into this room. He's waiting for me, waiting for me to move forward to one of the two chairs in front of his desk, waiting for me to then open my mouth and say what it is I came in here to say. But I can't seem to force my legs to move forward, my mouth feels like it’s been sewn shut as to stop the words from tumbling out.

The silence stretches on.

Alpha Reid continues to stare at me with his brown eyes, his left hand stretched out toward his cup of coffee, his other frozen as he was flipping through a bunch of pages. He sits patiently as he waits for me, but as the seconds turn into minutes he starts to get annoyed; with a sigh he sits back and folds his arms across his chest. "Nate." He grounds out.

When he says my name I feel a slight shiver slide down my spine as my wolf stirs, a growl slowly creeping its way through my system... Not my system, 'his' system. I close my eyes waiting for the feeling to go away and when it does I relax.

Reopening my eyes I finally get my legs moving forward until I'm standing right in front of my father’s desk, when I look up to meet my father’s gaze I collapse into the chair behind me, resting my head back.

"He still giving you trouble?" Alpha Reid asks from in front of me, his gaze pinned on me.

All I do is nod.

Alpha Reid grunts in response under his breath, arms still folded over his chest. "Is there a reason that you came in here to disturb me?"

I suck in a breath. "Yes." I whisper. "It's about Amethyst."

Alpha Reid raises his eyebrow at me. "You like her?" He guesses.

"Yes... I mean." I cut myself off; looking down at my lap I shake my head. "I do like her yes, but that's not what I came here to tell you."

Alpha Reid rests his elbows on the desk in front of him. "Then what did you want to tell me?"

I open my mouth but nothing comes out.

My wolf stirs again closer this time; he's just under my skin. He can sense my emotions and is coming to investigate but it’s causing me to lose focus, I can feel my energy slowly fading the more he stirs.

"Nate, focus." My father calls snapping me out of my trance and back to the present. "Just tell me what you wanted to say. Ignore him, he'll back off then."

I focus my gaze back on my father. "I'm sorry father."

He just nods his head. "It's alright. Now what about Amethyst?"

This time when I open my mouth the words just spill out. "I think she may be an Elder."

Alpha Reid stays quiet for a second as he thinks this over. "Why do you think this?" He questions brown eyes sharp.

"Because when she was here, she said something that got me thinking." I mutter not meeting my father’s gaze.

"What did she say?" He demands.

The shiver slides down my spine again, this time when my wolf stirs and growls it leaves my lips, my energy depleting even quicker.

Alpha Reid glares at me before he realises the I have no control over it. "Come on Nate focus." He says in a gentle tone.

My wolf doesn't want me to focus, he wants me to lose my grip of reality, on keeping him at bay because he wants out, he wants to kill and destroy. I focus on my father pushing him back down, closing my eyes I focus even harder as I lock him back away.

"She can communicate with her wolf; have a conversation with it just like you and I are now." I rush out still keeping my eyes closed.

I hear Alpha Reid stand up. "Why didn't you tell me this before?" He growls.

I open my eyes. "Because I wasn't sure."

"You shouldn't have kept it from me for this long!" He yells his eyes darkening as he wolf surfaces wanting to punish me for my disrespect.

My wolf lunges forward, a threatening growl vibrating through his system as he prepares for the fight ahead.

"Father, please." I murmur trying my hardest to keep him at bay.

"Don't father, please me." Alpha Reid yells slamming his fists on the desk. "You should have told me!"

Squeezing my eyes shut I hold my breath and put my head in my hands.

"Nate?" Alpha Reid asks after a few minutes of silence, the worry in his voice makes me peer through my fingers at him. He rubs his hand over his face. "I'm sorry son, I shouldn't have yelled at you like that."

I don't do anything.

"Take Trick and go back to Silver Eyes, tell Alpha Justin and Amethyst. You can stay there for a bit if you wish too." Alpha Reid says as he looks at me.

"Yes dad, can we take the Wrangler?" I ask the hint of a smile curving the corner of my lips.

My father shakes his head chuckling. "Sure."

I leap out of the seat. "Yes! Thanks dad. We'll leave tomorrow morning."

With that I walk out of the room and straight to my brother telling him that we're leaving first thing. After that I go into my room and collapse on the bed, shutting my eyes I shove my wolf all the way down before falling asleep from exhaustion.

                                                                                    * * * * *

Well, I like this chapter more than chapter four. Would about you?

My favourite part probably is the beginning... When Nate is describing his father's office.

Anyway. Hope you enjoyed reading it.

Till next week ..... Hopefully

SoaringSpirit

P.S. Can any of you guess which characters wolf is on the cover?? 

I'll let you know in the next a/n with the next chapter :)