The Way She Is

Noah's POV

"Hey," I say breaking the silence. "Our school doesn't have a girl basketball team. Do you play on a team?" I was driving Riley home after her "incident."

"No, I wish" she replied sadly.

"Why don't you play on the boy's team? Tryouts are tomorrow; you'll make it for sure." I said.

"You sound so sure of yourself. I'm not that good," she said shyly.

"You know what I don't understand? You are so good, but you act so shy and closed off. You eat lunch alone, which, by the way, is not happening tomorrow you are going to sit by me and my friends."

"Ok," she said quietly. When we got to her house, I walked her to her door and she turned to me and smiled. "Thanks for the ride." 

"You're welcome. I'll see you at school tomorrow."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Riley's POV

I got ready for school. I normally wear jeans, my converse and a hoodie, but today, I wore black leggings; tall, brown boots; and a gray sweater. I walked into school with a little more confidence. Then, I saw Noah. He looked amazing, like always. He was wearing gray jeans and a black and white hoodie. I looked down again, but I bumped into someone, and dropped my books
"Watch it loser," a high-pitched voice screeched. It was Brandi, in all her barbie glory.
"Sorry," I mumbled my confidence already gone. As I reached for one of my books a hand was already grabbing it. I looked up I was staring into Noah's icy blue eyes.
"Thanks," I said as I looked down blushing.
"You're cute when you blush." That statement made me blush even more, and Noah laughed.
"I hate you." I said in between giggles
"No you don't," he responded grabbing my hand to help me up. It was true I don't hate him, not even close.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Noah's POV

She is gorgeous. I don't know how I never noticed her. I studied her as she walked away.
She walks with her head down like she's afraid. She holds her books tightly in her hand as if someone might take them away. Then there is her face, her perfect face. She has a sad look on her face as if she is thinking of something she can never have.
Someone taps me on the shoulder and I turn.
"Dude," my best friend Brandon said."Why are you looking at her? She's so below your league."
"Bro, she schooled you in 3 on 3." I shit back.
"I was going easy on her," he said
"Sure" I replied, turning and walking away. I sat through geometry wondering why crushes have to be so difficult. No one should be out of anyone's league we should all be on an even playing field. The teacher assigned the homework and gave us time to work on it. Attention students this is a reminder to purchase tickets to homecoming before they are sold out. That's it, I will ask Riley to homecoming. That's perfect. The bell rang and I walked out hoping to see Riley before tryouts started. I spotted her by her locker. I snuck up behind her.
"Boo!"I yelled. She jumped and turned around but didn't make a sound.
"You didn't scream," I asked bewildered.
"I don't scream," she said matter-of-factly.
"Sure, you ready for tryouts?"
"As ready as I will ever be."