I'm Just Scared

SHANNA

It was a nice apartment. The nicest one she had ever seen, at least from the outside. She made her way to the door and knocked hoping for an open armed greeting instead of a slap to the face.

A guy opened. He was cute. A different kind of cute than Cory, but still cute. Tall, thin, brown hair.

"Can I help you?" he asked kindly.

"Lawrence?" Shanna asked with a squint.

"Yes, do I know you?"

"I'm a friend of Tabitha's. I was wondering if she was home."

He opened the door all the way. "Yes, come on in. She is changing Sophia right now but she will be done in just a moment."

The inside of the apartment was just as nice as the exterior. Stylish furniture, beautiful lighting, and colors. As an interior design student, she was impressed.

"May I tell her who is here?" Lawrence asked.

"Sure, Shanna." She went to the couch and sat nervously.

Clarity seemed to come to Lawrence at the mention of her name. He paused ever-so-slightly then disappeared.

Shanna heard some voices rise from the bedroom, almost sounding like an argument but she couldn't hear specifics. Soon Tabitha came walking into the living room with a scowl on her face.

Uh oh, she doesn't want to see me. Maybe this was a bad idea.

Tabitha muttered. "Men, idiots. All of them."

Shanna stood. "Tell me about it."

Tabitha smiled. "You have no idea how glad I am to see you, Shanna." A tight hug ensued.

Shanna's emotions welled up and she began to cry. "I'm so sorry for the way I treated you. Can you ever forgive me?"

Tabitha released her. "Of course. You are forgiven. Why are you crying, honey? Come, sit down."

"I'm sorry. It's been a rough last few days," Shanna said as the two sat on the couch turning towards each other.

Tabitha's face showed empathy and beyond. "Oh Shanna, you are not alone in that department. I'd have been much better off had the last two days simply not happened either."

"Can we just wipe them off the calendar?"

"I wish!" Tabitha said with a laugh. "What's going on?"

"My life is such a mess. I don't even know where to start. But, first, you have a baby?"

Tabitha nodded with pride. "Yes, a daughter. Sophia."

"You and Lawrence? I thought"—her voice went to a whisper—"he was gay."

"Huh. Yeah, tell me about it. He is and to be honest with you, he isn't the biological father but that is between us, okay?"

Shanna nodded. "Of course."

"I got pregnant one stupid night, don't even remember the guy's name and Lawrence stepped up to the plate. Once again, he was my savior."

"Aww, that's so sweet. It's so unfair; I get the loser and you get the knight in shining armor."

"Oh please." Tabitha rolled her eyes. "I don't even want to talk about the mess my knight in shining armor currently has me in." She growled. "Men."

Lawrence quickly walked in, obviously just passing through the living room. "I heard that. Don't even pretend you don't love me to the moon and back, Tabitha."