Love

Chapter Nineteen: Love 

--* I walked hurried across the third cellar, not fancying another encounter with William once more. Then, I ran as fast as my heels would carry me down to the fifth cellar. I slowed as I walked down the stairs to the fifth cellar; for, I heard voices. I tip toed down the stairs and peeked around the corner to see that my Opera Ghost's back was to me, and next to him was the Persian. They both held a large, blue, piece of paper that was rolled up at the sides and had little, white lines that made shapes running in it; they were holding it up to their faces and I heard my Opera Ghost say "I believe this is where I want it...the wedding...however, she may fancy it somewhere else; of course, I'll oblige her, Daroga...she's the most perfect thing...to say that I would do anything for her would be an great understatement.

 I cannot explain my love for her, Daroga, for all I would be capable of answering would be the most vague of answers; to confine the infinite within the finite, to reduce the scope of time to a measurable triviality. It is completely impossible without being vague. I love her more than the stars can reach, more than my soul can weep, more than...more. Daroga...I have been in love once before...but never have I experienced love in this intensity...this...deeply. Daroga, I have been nervous few times in my abhorrent life...but I have never been so nervous as I was when I saw that little angel enter the Palais Garnier."

Tears stung my eyes as my Opera Ghost spoke; the Persian took back the paper and turned to my Opera Ghost who began speaking with his hands. My Opera Ghost now chuckled "oh, Daroga, that sweet little dove has made my brain soft, I no longer think when she is around, the words just spill from my mouth. And when she is gone...I fell as if something has been ripped from my heart...so alone...the longing for her is unbearable, Daroga." He paused again and smiled "I am at a loss for more intellectually pleasing words to describe my love for her, Daroga, and for that I apologize; for, you can never hear the words which her love truly deserves." My Opera Ghost finished, I wiped my tears away and listened for the Persian's response.

"Erik, it is fine, I understand your love by just looking upon you two; her eyes fill with excitement and joviality and she is unable to keep it in! She hugs you and kisses you; even though you are not avid nor experienced in either. She loves you for who you are, Erik" the Persian said with a smile, patting my Opera Ghost's back.

"Yes, you are quite correct...." my Opera Ghost said, trailing off. Erik? Why did the Persian call my Opera Ghost Erik? Then, it hit me, that must be my Opera Ghost's real name! "Daroga, second guessing one's self is a horrid thing, and yet, I cannot seem to shake it from my bones...was I right to ask for my little angel's hand in marriage?

Was I right to condemn her to a life living beneath an Opera House chained to a monster such as I for all eternity? Was I right....was I right to love her?" My Opera Ghost asked, turning away from the Persian and staring out to the vast, glassy lake.

"Erik, love is a thing we cannot help. It ensnares us in it's clutches and keeps us hostage until we submit. Mademoiselle Persephone submitted rather quickly, because, she does, indeed, love you; and now I speak for her, she would not have it any other way." The Persian paused and walked beside the Opera Ghost, placing his hand on his shoulder and sighing "and if you left her alone, Erik, you would destroy her. She would break down and her very core would shatter; she would lie in shards on the ground...sobbing shards...her mind would not be capable of logical thought...she would be love sickened and blinded by sadness...Erik...she would kill herself in your absence; she would kill herself without your love" the Persian finished and my Opera Ghost cleared his throat.

"I thank you graciously, Daroga, that is exactly the thing my ears needed to be graced with" my Opera Ghost whispered, coughing and turning back to the blue paper. As they talked quietly I thought up a plan.