Chapter One

The members of the High Council of Knoraish looked at each other in despair. A complete silence spread among them.

“How could this be?” the High Councilman Garvan asked.  

The councilman next to him replied, “I don’t know we’ve never had this before it is very unusual.”

“Well we have to tell them both somehow I just don’t know how the older one will take it,” Garvan replied.

Brecon was lying in his bed across from his younger brother Armod. Brecon was twelve years old, in shape, and muscular. His brother Armod was eleven years old and a little overweight. Brecon had dark-brown hair, same as his brother’s and his dad’s hair.  Sadness had spread among Brecon, but there was a small trace of happiness in him. Their father King Turvan of the Knoraish died the day earlier.

They said he had a heart attack, but he felt there was more to the story. He shouldn’t be thinking about this right now he thought, there are more important things to think about. Since his father died, and he was the oldest that means he would inherit his father’s throne. That was the only reason why he was a little happy. He thought about how much his life would change when he did. No more games and fun, it would just be running his land and all the castles of his kingdom. But he was too young to do it all himself, so he had to have trusted advisors to help him. He wanted to talk to Armod before they had to go. Just as he was about to say something to his brother someone knocked on the door. Too late, they had to go review his father’s will.

They walked down the long hallway that led from their room to the King’s throne. Brecon stopped and sat down in a chair thinking that they would be doing it here. As Armod was about to do the same the man leading them stopped and turned around.  

“We’re not doing it here this way,” as he pointed down another hallway and started walking again.

Brecon got up and started walking again right in front of his brother. When they finally came to a stop outside a room the guard told them to wait there, and then he went inside. They heard muffled voices and then the guard walked out again and motioned for them to come in. When they walked in they sat down across from two men dressed nicely in black pants and a black vest with a white shirt underneath.  

“Hello we are to read your father’s will to you,” the one on the left said.

The man to the right of him pulled out an envelope and opened it.

“The will of King Turvan of the Kingdom of Knoraish,” he started saying.

“I leave my personal belongings all to my oldest son Brecon, and I leave my wealth to my younger son Armod,” he explained.  

Brecon knew what was going to happen next the throne of his father was going to be given to him.

The man on the right thinking about what he was about to say started speaking again “At my request, I leave my throne to Armod.”  

Silence filled the room as Brecon sat there confused and angry.

“We don’t know why he did this, but he scratched whatever he put there before out and wrote that” the man on the left said.

Then the guard who took them there knocked on the door and said, “It’s time to go.”    

Armod was smiling, and it didn’t even look like he was surprised. Suspicion now stirred inside of Brecon. Something wasn’t right and Brecon could sense it.

 When they got back to their room, Armod packed his things and moved into the King’s bedroom. Armod had tried to talk to Brecon, but Brecon did not feel like talking to him at all. He was too suspicious of something and upset, so he just sat in his bed and thought. Why would Armod be expecting to have the throne and why was he smiling?