The cookies were made, and Hunter observed how good Cassie was with children. She kept Spencer sufficiently happy and excited, and let her ease him into a nap. While she was doing that, he went back and visited Elle.

"Ellie?"

"Hey, Pa. I heard Cassie downstairs."

"How're you feeling?"

"I know what that report will say, and I don't need to be a part of it. I'll stay up here."

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure." She sighed. "I kinda want to be alone. Can I stay at Drew's tonight?"

"Maybe not tonight, I heard that Jessie was a bit busy, but tomorrow?"

"Good. That's... that's fine."

"You okay?"

"A little faint, but fine. Go back to Cassie."

He sighed. "Alright, Ellie. Get better."

He left the room, grabbing the envelope from his bedside table as he moved downstairs and felt his heart beginning to race. It felt heavy in his hand. It was the weight of reality, of truth, and it weighed him down.

Hunter walked into the living room, where Cassie was stroking Spencer's hair with a soft smile on her lips. He gently picked him up, placing him back in his room and leaving him to rest, before going back again. Cassie's eyes were trained on the letter in his hand, her eyes more grey than blue, and filled with trepidation.

"This envelope only proves or disproves biology, Cassie," said Hunter slowly. "If you choose to disassociate with us from hereon in, that's your choice."

"Okay," she whispered.

The paper beneath his fingers didn't feel real as he slowly broke the seal, feeling the letter within. Cassie was hardly breathing, and she was as stiff as a statue. Hunter slowly pulled the letter out, unfolded the paper and read its contents.

"Well?" breathed Cassie after ten seconds of silence.

He met her eyes. "A perfect match," he said.

She nodded slowly, and Hunter looked at his daughter like he was seeing her for the first time. She, too, was staring at him, drinking him in. "Are you okay?" said Hunter softly.

"This was... all really fast. I haven't told my- Elle's- Elle's dad yet."

"You can call him your dad, Cassie. It's not all black and white."

"Would you call me your d-daughter?"

"I would, yeah," he said. "Because in my eyes, you're me and you're Lilly, all combined. You're my first child, Cassie."

She nodded just a little, looking down at her knees. Then, she looked up, and Hunter held his arms out to her.

Cassiopeia Lovelace had expected the first hug she gave him to be awkward, unfamiliar and wrong. But in that moment, in his arms, she realised that she had never really felt so at home. "D-Dad-"

"You don't have to call me that," he breathed, kissing her hair. "You know that, don't you?"

"I want to. I... I want..." She took a deep breath, beginning to cry, and Hunter soothed her, rubbing her back.

"If you're gonna refer to me as your dad, I want you to call me Pa," he said gently.

She took a deep, shuddering breath, and whispered, "I've missed so much, you've missed so much of my life, how will-"

"We have all the time in the world, my flower," he said gently. "If you've got any questions, then I can answer them. We've found each other now."

She laughed slightly. "You know, my best friend- her name is Bella- she's your biggest fan. Imagine how I'm gonna break this news to her!"