Chapter 3: Connection

I twist through trees and hop over branches. Dead leaves crumble underneath my slowing steps. Out of breath, I prop myself against the nearest tree. My spine tingles when I hear a step behind me,
"Hello?" His voice is soft and fragile. I don't dare look back. I stay frozen in place, hoping he doesn't see me.

"Um.. I can see you.." I catch my breath and lock my eyes closed. I hear him stepping closer, "I should probably explain what you saw.." I feel a hint of warmth on my cheek from his breath, I peek open my eyes and almost tumble down. He's standing right in front of me, his hand placed on his neck. His eyes looking downward as we both stand in silence.

He peeks through his eyelashes and asks sheepishly,
"What did you see, exactly?" I bite my lip, debating whether or not I should admit I saw everything. Why not tell him though, that doesn't mean he has to know my secret. Besides, when else will I meet someone with such a similar predicament?

But, the words don't escape my throat. Instead I look him in the eye and pull at his thoughts. Nothing. I wonder if I can send him thoughts? A normal person wouldn't receive my sent thoughts (I've tested this theory) but this boy seems far from normal.
I saw everything
I repeat the three words multiple times and imagine pushing them right into his ears. After a few tries, his eyes widen. I feel mine grow as well. I focus on his strand of consciousness again, and hear my voice echo my three words.

Neither of us know what to do. I study the boy's face for a while. His soft blue eyes remind me of a scared puppy, his side swept chocolate locks and slender build make him quite good looking. But the more I study his eyes, I feel drowned in a pool depth and complexity. Finally, the boy breaks the awkward silence,
"You too?" I look down, not sure how to respond.
"Yeah, sort of. I mean, I hear voices.. people's thoughts.." I look back at the boy to see the ghost of a grin. As an afterthought I add, " but I've never tried telekinesis like you." At that he breaks into a grin. He tries to hide it by ducking his head. I didn't think what I said was funny, but I find myself grinning as well.
"I'm still not that good, I can only control small objects like that leaf."

After that, the conversation begins to flow smoother. We begin explaining our strange abilities, but end up talking about our lives and interests. I don't realize how much time has went by until the sky erupts into oranges and reds.
"Oh my gosh! How long have we been talking?"
I giggle. The boy raises his wrist to check his watch.
"It's already seven, I should get home." He sounds sad. I guess we both enjoyed our conversation. I nod at him and he stands up to leave.
" Wait!" I call before he leaves, " Tomorrow same time same place." I stare him down, forcing him to oblige. He simple grins at me, but I know he's coming back. Before I forget, I call at him one last time,
"We never did exchange names, I'm Raine" He looks at me again for a moment. I feel him studying me from head to toe, as if he doesn't want to forget anything about me. At last, he responds,
"I'm Luca" With that he winks and turns away. I can't help but to feel a small warmth grow inside of me.