Chapter 5-An Impossible Choice

Regan awoke to the musty thick smell of fog filling her lungs. Her hazel eyes sprang open and she rapidly sat up. Confused, dazed, and worried Regan speedily examined her surrounding, while she remained seated in the dying yellowish grass. Nearly a foot way form where Regan sat was a thick barrier of grayish fog encircling her. The air was dead silent aside from Regan's muffled breathing and the air stank with the damp smell of the mist. The ground was covered by patches of dried yellowish grass and scattered patches of dark green weeds.

The eerie silence made Regan uneasy, so she stood and tried to walk through the fog only to find more fog and dead grass.

"Where am I?" wondered Regan aloud to herself.

"Your mind," whispered a faint voice. Rapidly she spun around to see only a quick black flash out of the corner of her eye.

"Who's there?" asked Regan scanning her foggy surroundings, only see more gray mist.

"On us….," answered what sounded like two voices in unison. Regan turned around to face the two strangers.

Clocked in the gray mist stood Peter Pan and the silver-haired boy, Marcus the Silver Elf, that had saved her life. Pan's face was stern and he was dressed in all black. Meanwhile, Marcus has a warm inviting smile and his eyes held a warm sparkle. Marcus wore a silver tunic, a pair of silver pants, and silver boots.

"Pan," spat Regan crossly as she recognized Pan.

"Now is that any way to greet an old friend," remarked Pan mockingly, while crossing his arms and smirking. Marcus gave Pan a death glare.

"That is no way to treat a lady!" exclaimed Marcus motioning toward Regan.

"Hey boys! Calm down…. There is no need to argue," she paused allowing the two boys to focus on her before continuing," Now, where am I?" asked Regan demandingly.

"In your dreams," answered Marcus with a small smile.

"This is a projection of your subconscious desires and feeling," added Pan.

"If this is my mind… then what are you two doing here?" pondered Regan aloud, scratching her head.

"We are here so that you can choose…," replied Pan before he was cut off.

"Between me and him," finished Markus disgusted as he mentioned Pan.

"I am the light and his the dark," said Marcus.

"Wait! I don't know either of you!" argued Regan.

"Long ago we were friends," explained Marcus.

"Of course you and me were the conquers of entire kingdoms. We ruled with an iron fist and dark magic to crush all who opposed us. But you fell victim to the influence of that troublesome elf," recounted Pan scowling at Marcus.

"Slow down.…I have no memories of any of that," countered Regan.

"Just relax and try to remember," said Markus, walking towards her until they were merely inches apart. The tips of Marcus's fingers lightly brushed Regan's face, causing her heart to race, an"d Pan stared in horror.

"Regan wake up," whispered Marcus softly.

"Regan…. Please wake up," whispered a kind voice sweetly, ripping Regan away from her dream.

Sleepily Regan opened her hazel eyes and as her eyes adjusted to the light, she saw a silver-haired boy leaning over her. Close up she could see how handsome he really was and how his silver iris seemingly sparkled in the light. His lips were full and he smiled. She relaxed as he gently ran his fingers through her thick black hair.

"Glad t see your finally awake," said Marcus smiling as he realized Regan was awake, and he quickly pulled his hand away.

"Where am I?" asked Regan hoarsely as she tried to sit up only to receive a sharp shiver of pain up her spine, causing her to flop back down onto the pillow.

"Careful! The shifter's venom left your body pretty weak, so it is better if you don't move. Here let me get you another pillow," said Marcus, as he stood up and walked out of Regan's view. She could hear the click of Marcus's boots against the floor and the door closing behind him as he left the room.

After a few minutes Marcus returned with a pillow and a small cloth pouch. Gently Marcus used the new pillow to prop Regan u in bed and he carefully readjusted the wool blanket before sitting back down. Regan took the opportunity to examine the room. The room was small and there was a wooden door directly across from her. Regan was lining in a small wooded bed against the right wall. Marcus sat in a chair beside Regan's bed and next to him was a small end table, with a candle on it. Began noticed that her trench coat and boots layer folded in the corner. Marcus wore a dark gray collared shirt, a black vest, and black pants. 

"Did you bring me here?" asked Regan weakly.

"Yes, I brought you here after you collapsed. You have been unconscious for nearly three days. Here this will help with the hunger," said Marcus, opening the cloth pouch and removing a small white flower that looked similar to a rose. Then he placed the flower in Regan's palm.

"A flower?" chuckled Regan staring at the plant.

"Just eat it. It is a herb called a White Lace Rose. It has healing properties that helps prevent hunger pains," said Marcus.

"Alright," said Regan, hesitantly shoving the tiny white flower into her mouth. When the petals touched her tongue she shivered, after tasting the flower. Then she reluctantly swallowed the foul tasting white flower.

"That was disgusting!" spat Regan and glaring at Marcus.

"You will thank me later when your not doubled over in pain and begging me for food," reassured Marcus

"Why did you bring me here?" asked Regan changing the subject.

"That shifter attacked you was going to drain you dry, but luckily I got there before it was to late," answered Marcus.

"Why did the shifter look like Peter Pan?" said Regan.

"You tell me. A shifter can take two differed forms depending on the person. Shifter either become the thing their prey fears most, or the person they hold most dear," taunted Marcus. Regan only looked at in silence.

"Fine then don't tell me," remarked Marcus feeling hurt.

"Sorry it is just that things have even insane lately. I met Peter Pan and then there was the vampire thing attacking me. Also everyone in Neverland seem to somehow know me. How do you explain that?" complained Regan with a sigh.

"I suppose you deserve an explanation," Marcus paused and sighed before continuing, "It all stared a long time ago….."