Chapter 1- Escape

The musty air was tainted by scents of rotting flesh and mold. The soft sound of dripping water echoed though the silence of the dark cell. Tall stone walls formed the boundaries of the dark stone cell. The room was bare except for a small barred window, letting a small beam of pale silver moonlight into the shadowy room. The circle of moonlight rested upon the wall opposite the small window.

In the silver beam of moonlight sat a teenage girl. She was malnourished and her limbs were weak and frail. The moonlight illuminated her pale face revealing numerous scars and deep slashes. Her long almost black hair was matted and tangled from many years of negate. She wore a tattered plain black dress, and the dress was stained by dried and fresh blood. Her pale-skinned face was wet with painful tears and the sound of her sobbing echoed through the compound. Her wrists were secured to the cold stone wall by painfully tight iron cuffs. Long iron chains tied the weak girl's legs to the stone wall.

"What am I going to do?" thought the girl sadly. She had been imprisoned for several years and she was constantly tortured, but despite the intense pain she never uttered a single word. Over the past several weeks her captors had become anxious and were increasing the intensity of her torture.

The girl's ears perked up, as the faint tap of leather boots against the stone floor. Her frail body tensed and she held her breath as the guard walked past. Her weak mulches relaxed, when the sound of the guard's footsteps faded away.

A distant memory from the girl's childhood suddenly entered her clouded mind. In her childhood the girl's mother had told her stories of a magical land called Nederland, where anything is possible. The story said that a child could summon a spirit that would lift them away to Neverland by saying two simple words.

"It is worth a shot," thought the girl. For the first time in many years she looked up at the black night sky. Through the small barred window she could see the vast expanse of the starry night sky and the bright full moon.

"I believe," she said weakly, breaking her long held oath of silence. The atmosphere of the room grew unnaturally quiet as the word left her lips.

Suddenly a black shadowy aberration appeared in the center of the cell. The black spirit stood tall and its body was a black void. The sole color on its otherwise black humanoid form were a pair of glowing white eyes.

"Who are you?" asked the spirit in an unnatural voice.

"My name is....." she struggled to recall her own name, "Regan, and who or what are you?" said Regan in a weak voice.

"I am the Shadow, my lady," said the Shadow respectively as it bowed. The Shadow stepped towards Regan and it began to examine her iron shackles.

"Allow me," said the Shadow as it knelt down and unlocked the shackles restraining her wrists. Then it removed the chains of her ankles before it stood back up.

"Thank you," said Regan gracefully as she stood up on her weak legs.

"Now I suppose you know why I am here," said the Shadow.

"Yes, your here to take me to Neverland," replied Regan.

"Of course," said the Shadow, as he offered Regan his shadowy hand. Regan nodded and took the Shadow's out-stretched hand. The Shadow smiled evilly and it snapped its black fingers. 

As the dark spirit snapped its fingers the walls and the floor of the dark stone cell melted away. The walls gave way to the blackness of the starry night sky, and the stone floor became a dark swirling torrent of black ocean waves far beneath them. The pair levitated high above the crashing black waves in the dark night sky. Regan stared down at the salt water and fear consumed her heart, so she tighten her hold on the Shadow's hand.