"Then your insurance will cover the cost for a ramp, as well as an accessible shower and the wheelchair."

The wheelchair. Mickey's legs to-be. Mandy swallowed hard.

"I know that all of this must be really hard for you." Dr. White added and she actually sounded like she gave a shit. "It is going to be hard especially for him, so I recommend that he sees a psychologist to figure out if he also needs help to mentally deal with his disability."

Disability. From now on her brother was disabled, therefore dependent. He needed help, someone to be there, at least in the beginning if not always. Could Iggy take care of him? Or would she have to give up her job and move back in? But what about the insurance then? Or her dream to get out of this shithole called South Side? As soon as the last thought popped into her head she felt guilty. This wasn't about her.

"Uhm, can we see him now?" Lip asked and interrupted her thoughts. "Yes." Dr. White said.

She lead them to a room at the end of the hallway that contained her office.

"The anesthesia still has an effect, so he's probably sleeping." She explained when she opened the door.

Mandy entered the room, followed by her brother and Lip before the doctor closed the door, leaving them alone.

The room was big enough for two beds but at the moment Mickey was the only patient there. His bed was next to the window that offered a great view to the parking lot of the hospital. She eyed every inch of the room, the walls, the floor, the TV in the corner hanging from the ceiling, just to avoid looking at her brother. But then she did. Looked at the person lying in the bed. As Dr. White had assumed, he was asleep. His skin paler than ever, matching the bandage around his head. He was linked to several machines which were quietly beeping. It was the only noise in the room. She stepped closer and saw the bruises and scratches covering his face. He also had a black eye and small cuts in his cheek.

Terry had left his typical marks and that was only Mickey's face. She didn't want to think about the rest of his body left alone his legs.

There was a chair next to the bed which she sat down on and grabbed his hand with the U-UP tattoos. The one with FUCK laid on his other side where she could see a needle in his arm, connected to an IV.

His fingers were warm which she was surprised about. It felt good because suddenly she noticed that she had been cold since she had got to the hospital.

--

Lip slumped onto the small couch on the wall, next to Iggy. He had only come here for Ian, because he wasn't sure how his little brother would have reacted to the things the doctor had just told them or to the sight of Mickey. Fiona and he had agreed that Lip would go and check on Mickey if Fiona made sure that Ian stayed home. He didn't know that Lip was here right now and Fiona had probably said that there weren't any visitors allowed yet. But he wasn't sure if Ian would come even if he knew he could.

Mickey's eyes were closed and his breath was calm. He looked kind of peaceful, something he had never really seen on him before. Ian probably had.

--

Iggy and Lip left about half an hour later. Her brother had to run some errands Mandy didn't really want to know about and Lip said he had to go to work. She called her boss and told him about the situation. She got a week off. When she put her phone in her pocket, she felt a twitch in Mickey's hand that she was still holding.

"Mickey?" She asked, her heart pounding hardly in her chest.

He slowly opened his eyes but didn't really seem awake yet. She squeezed his hand. "Mickey, can you hear me?"