Chapter 60: The Final Showdown

Start from the beginning

"If you want me to go, I'll go," he said, chewing thoughtfully.

"Tonight?" I pushed. "Since we're starting a new life together, I want to leave my old life behind. But I have to see it one last time."

"Of course," he said automatically. "Whatever you want." Maybe I didn't just fall for him because he told me to. Maybe there was something in Kilgrave that no one else saw. But it wouldn't last. He was dangerous, and we had to do whatever it took to stop him.

***

"It was always docked here," I said as we walked hand in hand past all the boats. Now it was a waiting game, I had to keep him here until Jessica was ready, and then I had to leave as soon as possible.

"If it's still here, we'll find it," he promised me. To all the people walking around, we looked like any other normal couple.

"Kilgrave!" we heard from behind us. We turned and saw Jessica, needle in hand. "This ends here."

Out of the shadows came Trish, Falcon, Wanda, Nat and Bucky. That wasn't part of the plan. His grip around my hand tightened.

"What is this?" he asked. "How did you know we were here?"

I tensed up and he felt it. Betrayal filled his eyes as he looked at me.

"You? You did this?"

"Don't blame her, it was my idea. You should have known I wouldn't just let you get away with this," Jess said, walking towards us.

"Stop there," he said. She stopped momentarily, then she kept walking. The surprise in my eyes was mirrored by Kilgrave, before fear took over. "Fine, have it your way. Patsy," he said, eyeing Trish. "Jump into the sea, drown yourself." She walked to where the boats were docked and quickly jumped before the rest of us had time to react. "Nobody move!" he commanded to the rest of us. Jess ran to Trish and pulled her back onto solid ground, holding her tight as she fought to get back into the water. Jess hit her quickly, knocking her unconscious so that she'd stop fighting. So that Kilgrave couldn't control her anymore.

"This was always about me and you," Jess said to Kilgrave. "You didn't have to get anyone else involved."

"You left me," he said. "What the hell else was I supposed to do?"

"You thought the right answer was to kidnap Rogue and keep her with you against her will?"

"Each time she came back; she came because that's what she wanted to do. I didn't force her to come back to me," he said, looking at me. "There's a little part of you that likes me. Even dinner tonight, we had a connection."

"You're crazy," I said. "If you weren't so suspicious, I would have poisoned your food. Hell, I'd love to put my hands around your neck and squeeze the life out of you myself!" I spat at him. Anger took over and he pushed me to the ground.

"Hey!" Bucky called. "Don't touch her!"

Jessica walked towards him again, the needle still in her hand.

"If Jessica touches me with that needle, touches me with anything, everyone here should use everything they can to kill her," he commanded. She stopped in her tracks. With my electricity, Wanda's telekinesis and everyone else's training and special weapons, she'd never be able to defeat us, and she knew it. She couldn't touch him.

He looked down at me. "I'm surprised at you. I never expected you to betray me."

"You used me to get to Jessica. You're a monster, and I'll do whatever it takes to stop you," I promised.

"Good to know," he said, walking towards the exit, through the throng of people who had also stopped when he commanded it. "Oh, Bucky Barnes, come here."

"No," I said under my breath as Bucky walked towards him. "Leave him alone!"

"You're coming with me, you won't leave my side until I tell you to," he said. Bucky nodded. "He'll be my plaything," Kilgrave shouted over to me. "My slave."

"Don't do this!" I begged him.

"Now you'll understand what it's like to have the person you love taken away from you." It took me a while to figure out that he was talking about Jessica, that he still wanted her. "If he or I see you, Rogue, or anyone that looks like you, he'll use that metal arm of his, and strangle himself to death."

"No!" I said again.

"And one more thing," he added. Everyone here with no superpowers, kill each other," the other people at the harbour began hitting and kicking each other, some falling and hitting their heads, dying in moments. He was gone before the blood started to pour, taking Bucky with him.

Sirens blasted through the streets. I had no idea who called the police but I didn't care.

"Get out of here," I vaguely heard Jessica shout to my friends. "I've got her." Then I felt her hand on my arm. "Rogue, we need to get Trish out of here before the police come and arrest us."

"I don't care," I mumbled.

"You can't save Bucky from Kilgrave if you're in prison!" she reasoned with me. I sniffed and took a deep breath, nodding. As I stood, the police cars boxed us in.

"Stay where you are! Hands behind your head! Now!" one screamed. I looked behind me and saw what they saw. Every bystander and innocent person was dead. I cried as I felt the cold metal of handcuffs clamp around my wrists. It was over, we lost. I lost.

****************************************

Thank you for reading! Come back next Saturday for Chapter 61!

I can now reveal that there are only 10 chapters left of Rogue! In 10 weeks, her story will be over. Thank you to anyone that's read it so far!

Did you like this chapter? Comment and vote if you did!