Chapter 44: We Fight

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: Civil War' Spoilers!

A truck blew up, catching everyone's attention. I was still rooted to the spot, watching Nat shakily get up from the ground and hold her head. When she looked at me I could see fear in her eyes, as if she didn't know who I was anymore.

"I'm sorry," I said softly, knowing that she probably couldn't even hear me. I knew what Nat was thinking – this had changed me. I would never have hit her before Bucky and the accords, and she knew it.

I turned around and Stark stepped in front of me.

"Are you happy?" he asked, nodding to a wounded Nat. "You hurt the person that means the most to you."

"Leave me alone," I said, not taking my eyes off of him. Stark was desperate, who knew what he'd do next?

"Seriously, good going! Not only have you hurt Romanoff, but you've destroyed the whole team! The Avengers are never going to be a team again and it's all your fault!"

"That's not true," I said, my voice wavering. I was the one who took the team to Lagos, I was the reason for the accords. Was this really all my fault?

"Yes it is!" Stark laughed. "Ever since you joined the team, everything's gone wrong. You always blamed me for messing things up, but it was you. Everything I did with Ultron was to protect you, I fought for you! And then what, the second things get a bit tough you abandon me and hook up with a psycho assassin?!"

"Tough? You killed my father!" I reminded him.

"Obadiah Stane was a psychopath. If I hadn't killed him, someone else would have," Stark said. "And do you know what? I knew him for years and he never even mentioned having a daughter. He didn't care about you, you meant nothing to him!"

"No," I said softly, my vision blurry as I tried to see through my tears.

"Just like your mother. Do you really think it's a coincidence that you don't know where she is? If she wanted to see you, she'd be here right now. Neither of your parents want anything to do with you and you're taking it out on me! God, my parents are dead but at least they sort-of loved me!"

I knew he was trying to taunt me – he wanted me to retaliate, to hit him. He wanted to give them a reason to throw me in the Raft.

"Barnes is coming with us. If you're lucky, task force won't kill him – they'll just lock him up for the rest of his life. But hey, you could always visit him in jail!"

I hit him. I punched the metallic face and knocked him off his feet and to the ground, my hand throbbing. He coughed and stood up, hitting me with a repulsor beam. I was wrong, he didn't want them to throw me in the Raft – he wanted a reason to hit me. He was still upset that we'd broken up and needed to take it out on me.

I electrocuted him, causing a short in his suit. He struggled before powering through it and hitting me with his metallic fist. He had the advantage, knowing that I'd never use enough electricity to kill him. My lip began to bleed and I pushed him to the ground. Every time he stood up I'd push him down, it was all I could do. I knew that if I hit him again, I wouldn't be able to stop, I'd keep hitting until I killed him. And as hurt as I was, I knew that I couldn't kill Stark – he wasn't a bad guy, he was hurt.

"I loved you," I said in disbelief, leaning over his suit and resting lightly on it. "We could have been amazing."

"We still can be," he answered in a whisper.

I shook my head. "It was never meant to be."

"You didn't give us a chance," he responded.

"Remember our first date?" I asked him, both of us casting our minds back to that day, when he'd gone out of his way to plant a screen in the middle of a park and show one of my favourite movies. He'd been so romantic and amazing, I felt so lucky. "That was me giving us a chance. Remember when you created Ultron and I stood by you? That was me giving us a chance. I found out you killed my dad and I'm still here with you, talking to you, this is me giving you a chance. But I can't be with you anymore."

"Because of him," he said, defeated.

"Every time I've met Bucky, he's protected me, made me feel safe, been nice to me. I like him and I refuse to apologise for that. He's not who you think he is; he's done nothing wrong."

"This is just like you," he said with a chuckle.

"What do you mean?" I asked defensively.

"When you started dating me, everyone told you what a 'bad' guy I was, and you ignored them. You kept dating me. And then you dumped me out of the blue for no reason."

I stood up quickly. "No, Stark. The difference between you and Bucky is that he didn't do anything!" I reiterated once again. "You've hurt everyone around you. And you know what, I'm done!"

He stood up and grabbed my arm, squeezing so hard that I could already feel the bruise forming. I fought against him, but his anger made him strong.

"Don't do this," he said angrily. Suddenly, he was ripped from me and thrown onto the ground.

"Are you OK?" Bucky asked. I wrapped my arms around him tightly, shaken. He held me back equally as tight, before peeling me off of him and grabbing my hand.

"Yeah," I gasped, nodding.

"Let's go," he said, pulling me along with him until we were running towards the Quinjet. One by one, Scott, Wanda, Hawkeye, Falcon and Steve joined us. We ran as fast as we could. Then a bright light shone into the ground, blocking our way.

"Captain Rogers," a voice said. We all looked up to see Vision flying through the air. "I know you believe what you're doing it right. But for the collective good, you must surrender now."

In front of us stood T'Challa, Rhodey, Spider-Man, Nat, Vision and Stark, poised and ready to fight.

"What do we do Cap?" Falcon asked. Bucky squeezed my hand tightly and reassuringly, giving me a small smile. I squeezed back, hoping that he wouldn't see how nervous I was.

"We fight."

****************************************

Thank you for reading! Come back next Saturday to find out what happens next!

Should Rogue have dumped Stark? Vote and tell me in the comments!