7. Ghosts of the past

I blinked rapidly before straightening up. I looked down to find myself wearing a black one piece swim suit as I lay on the cold wet ground. I looked around confused at the pool before realising where I am. It was where we spent our vacation a few years ago.

In other words, it was where we spent our last vacation with dad, before he died.

The familiar joyous scream of my little brother cut off my thoughts. I turned my head quickly to find Daniel playing with mum in the water. He was trying to swim away from her as she growled playfully pretending to be a sea monster, but his tiny limps won’t let him get far. He screamed playfully when her arms wrapped around him pulling him to her while kissing every part of his face, making growling sounds.

An unconscious smile formed on my lips as I watched them play around. I missed this cheerful playful mum.

“Little Danny grew up since the last time we where here together, didn’t he?”

I looked up next to me causing a disbelieving gasp to slip through my lips. Sitting right next to me was a strong shirtless man looking infront of him at the laughing child and mother. The only think that actually hinted about his old age was the few stray white hairs in his mob of brown curls and the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes when he smiled.

When I didn’t answer, he turned to me confirming my desperate suspicions. He stared back at me with eyes that mirrored mine, wide light emerald eyes. I choked out a sob before I flung myself at him awkwardly since we were both sitting on the ground.

“Daddy” I screamed happily as I tightened my arms around him. He huffed in surprise as he caught me but then I felt his chest vibrate under me as he chuckled.

“I missed you too my baby girl. I missed you so much” He sighed softly, his words filled with longing and undying love as he returned the embrace. I felt myself return to a little girl again as I buried my head in the crook of his neck.

After all, I will always be daddy’s girl.

No death or night creatures can change that.

“Why did you leave me daddy? I needed you most these past months” I croaked out sniffing a bit as I pulled back to stare up at him. I know my eyes were filled with adoration as I stared into this face and eyes that looked exactly like mine, just more muscular.

“I know my Ella, I know. I wish I could take it back and change the past but I can’t. I am dead.” Dad whispered with a sad smile before leaning down to plant a kiss on my forehead. I looked down disappointed by his answer; I hoped he was back now.

His cold fingers touched my chin making me look up at him. His eyes were determined and a grin filled his lips.

“But I know you are strong enough to overcome this all. You are unique, my kid, believe me” He said with such determination that I almost believed him. Almost.

“No, I am not. What I am is a beast, a killer. Did you know I almost killed mum?” I said bitterly unable to believe him. He shook his head fiercely as his hands tightened on my shoulders.

“No, you are not! You put yourself in pain rather than just giving in, so you can protect others. I have watched you struggle since your changing and I must say, I’m proud of you. I believe in you. Don’t give up now.”

I bit my lip trying to hold back my tears. All my life I have wanted to make my father proud of me, trying my best to do as he says and here he tells me the words I have wanted to hear for so long.

“I love you Dad. I won’t give up” I said confidently staring into his eyes to prove my point. He smiled satisfied and wrapped one arm around me, squeezing my shoulder proudly. He then turned to look infront of him and smiled sadly.

“Can I ask you one more thing? Give your mother a chance. She has been through a lot since I have been gone”

I turned to find Mum swimming around with Daniel sitting on her shoulders, wrapping his tiny arms around her neck as they both laughed. I missed this mum; she had been strict but always showed us she cared and worried about us too much. She loved me once.

“She doesn’t love me anymore. I am a demon to her now.”

Dad turned to look at me, his eyes pained by the coldness leaking in my voice. My face was expressionless as I looked back at him, it was the truth.

“No mother stops loving her children”

“She can when her daughter is a monster”

“You are not, Gabriella, stop saying that. Just show her that her old daughter is still there. She is just acting like that because she thinks she has lost her only daughter too. You can’t imagine how much she is hurting”

I sighed as I stared at his green eyes that were filled with so much sadness now and pain that my heart broke. He loves my mother and he is hurting just as much as her. I feel ashamed that I was hurting her like that without even knowing.

“I didn’t ask you to tell her what you are, Just try to make things right, Ella. That is all I’m asking.” Dad pleaded only more and I couldn’t help but nod. After all she is my mother and even though I don’t like to show it, deep down her hate for me that evening I almost attacked her broke a part of my heart.

I still love her after all that. She is my Mammy.

“Thank you my baby girl. That is all I want.” Dad said as he hugged me before pulling away and standing up. I looked up at him alarmed immediately when he backed away slowly.

“Where are you going Daddy?” I said standing up immediately reaching for him. He just smiled at me as he kept walking away.

“It’s time to go now my baby girl. Remember whenever you need me, just remember me. I will be there” Dad said as he began to fade into the darkness.

“Don’t leave me again Dad” I screamed at him wanting to run, lock him in my arms and never let go, but I couldn’t move as everything around me was beginning to darken turning to black.

“I never left you my dear”

That was the last thing I heard my beloved dad say before everything faded into darkness.