2

"You made Marie do what?!" Tania shouted into her cell phone, tossing her long tassel of French braids all in a bunch over some premature dick-wad, Stefan. Jessica, Tania's best friend since middle school sat indian-style on her bed miming a laugh as she tossed her mouth to the ceiling, she darts a look to Tania before exchanging glances. Jessica went back to painting her nails when Stefan's voice rang through the speaker.
"...She knew I had been into it, Tania."
"Nah, nah!" She bounces back, waving a finger in the air as though to rewing time, "Say that one moh time."
Stefan smacks his gums.
Jessica looks over with the biggest smile on her face before finishing up her manicure.
Tania laughs.
"Nah, nah... Marie said it'd be coo' if I slipped into her backseat and steal the wheel, ya know. Brah, take me off speaker...".
Tania and Jessica verbally crack up before she turns the speaker off.
"You know Marie don't be playing like far, Stefan," Tania exclaims, "No wonder she done slept witchu' befo' dumping yo sorry ass!"
"And, low and behold! Stefan loses his Driver's Licence all in two weeks, tops!" Jessica chimed in, she could near!Y hear Stefan's laughter vibrate from the phone. Tania cracked up with a two-syllable laugh, "A-haaa!" As though it came to be no surprise.

...

I tried calling Sheriff Anderson nearly two hours later, nothing. Nothing at all! And that made me so angry cus that means the man either fell out drunk at Clove's Bar & Grill or got 'hooked up' and slept like a frickin' baby.
I looked to see Brae curled into the arm of the sofa. Tapping my foot impatiently, I ring up Tania.
After the third ring, I had got sent to her ridiculous voicemail.

Sorry I'm not sorry I give two shits you rang, busy takin' a shit more important than you! Leave a message, flush ya later.

I scoff, I nearly always pull the recievers from my ear when I hear that language of hers. Getting the seconds til the sound of the BEEP down tops, I pull the phone back to my ear.
"Hey, Tania it's Mary-Anne. Please would ya gimme a call," I paused, "it's kinda important?" Ugh, my statement left with a question, on impulse I sent it regardless.
Not even a second letter, my cell rings.
I dig it back out from my back pocket and answer it, expecting it to be Tania or even Sheriff Amderson.

"Hey, is this Miss Mary-Anne?"

This voice had not by any means sounded familiar!
"This is she, " I answer quickly, tossing my hip outward, I lean against the stairs wall.
"Whose calling?"
Silence.
"Um, hello?" I took the phone from my ear and glared bullets into it, folding it before it starts ringing again!
I flip it open and answer urgently, "Hello! Hell -,"

"Miss Mary-Anne, sittin' in  the pool, B-l-e-e-d-i-n-g. First comes a sound, then comes a claim. F-e-e-d-i-n-g. That's not all, no that's not all; then off with the head of her hus- bah -and."
Eerie laughter.
"Hey! Is that a threat?" I ask expecting a prompt response.
The line fell dead, instead.
Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep....
I hang up and click redial...
Putting it I my ear I wait for that hideous voice to flood back into my ear.
If you would like to make a call, please hang up and try again. If you need help, please hang up and then dial your operator, if-
I had cut the voice automatic system short by closing the phone. I look to that heavy sleeper and can barely keep my eyes open myself.