Ch. 18

Xavier doesn't knock, he just opens the door and we follow the noise to the kitchen. I notice Ruxin is watching his wife from the stool at the countertop finish up dinner. His eyes narrow on Xavier and I wonder if he's mad at me too. He stands up and walks over to us, just as Eva stops cooking to hug us both.

"Piper." He greets politely, kissing my cheek. He takes my hand in his and pulls me to the stools. "You're the only one talking to me right now." He states, quietly.

"I swear I didn't tell her or Xavier that you told me." I whisper back. We watch as Eva and Xavier start to argue about something, I don't understand their friendship. It really looks like they're brother and sister. "Thanks again for telling me." I state, feeling bad his wife is mad at him.

He shrugs. "She's usually pretty forgiving, but the pregnancy hormones are raging. At least she's mad at Xavier too." He replies, smugly.

I chuckle. "What is it this time?"

"For dragging her into his lie. She has a real fondness for you." He tells me, winking.

I smile. "She's impossible not to love, I'm really glad we met. I don't blame her for keeping it a secret, she has more loyalty to him and its understandable. I'll talk to her tonight and explain there are no hard feelings and she needs to go easy on you."

He grins down at me. "Not even you will be able to save me."

"Did you try a grand gesture? I know she really wants a new Birkin, black this time." I suggest, helpfully.

I remember discussing designer handbags with her and Liz at lunch the other day, before the got into, make Xavier pay mode.

His eye brighten. "I truly believe you'll be my best friend." He comments, pouring wine. Holding out a glass of red wine
to me, I take it. He picks up his own, "To new friends." I smile and clink his glass with mine.

"Yes, you did!" Eva shouts at Xavier.

Getting our attention we watch them and I shake my head. "We're going to need to be friends to survive this." I
comment, as the yelling finally ends and they call a truce.

"Just promise me we'll never be them." He replies, jokingly.

I scoff. "If I wanted to argue with someone constantly I know to call Xavier."

"You came here together. Can't be all that bad." He states, knowingly.

I take a sip of wine and sigh, "Its not. Its just accepting and trying to move forward at this point."

"I thought you were supposed to make him grovel?" He smirks.

I look up at him guiltily. "Turns out I'm not very good at manipulation."

He chuckles, "Because, you're not bitter. Don't let my wife talk you into anything, you'd be better off opening yourself up then closing yourself off. It'd probably make him feel like a bigger idiot. If thats even possible." He advises.

I look at him surprised. "Mr. Ruxin, I think you're on to something."

"Thank you, Miss. Piper. I'm known for my wisdom." He teases.

"Is that the same wisdom that led you to sell out your wife?" Eva asks, coming over to us and watching the exchange.

"Where's Xavier?" I ask. Saving Ruxin from having to answer.

"Serena, insisted he go up to her room to read her a story tonight. That she wouldn't sleep until her Uncle came to see her. Shes very persistent."

"Awe. How cute." I say, envisioning Xavier reading to a little girl in her princess pink bed.

"Ruxin hates it. Its his job to read to her at night." Eva, teases and Ruxin growls unhappily.