Ch. 10

Xavier Sterling

    Eva greets Pip with a hug and when Ruxin does the same I flinch on the inside. The urge to pull her away from him is making my hands twitch. I watch as he hugs her closely, looking smug and clearly hoping to get a reaction from me. I narrow my eyes at him but it only earns a satisfied smirk.

I lean close to him and say, "I'm gonna be Godfather to your son." Watching his face lose all smugness. I gloat smiling unabashedly while he stews over the jab I just delivered.

"Dinner is served, Madame." Briggs announces and we walk to the dinning room. I take Pips arm and loop it with my own. She complies gracefully not wanting to make a spectacle by refusing to walk with me. As soon as we enter the dining room her arm starts to drop, anticipating her actions I gently grasp her hand pulling her to the same side of the table, so we could sit next to each other. Pulling out her chair our eyes meet, hers bright with irritation and my in triumph. Dinner starts and Eva and mom start discussing the house I'm buying, telling dad what they liked and disliked about it.

I lean towards Pip, "Have dinner with me tomorrow. In the city." I demand, quietly.

She gives me a look of shock. "Absolutely, not. On what planet are you living?"

"Come on. I'll take you to Blue Water, the place we always used to go to. You remember?"

"I remember, Xavier." She replies, sharply.

"I'll pick you up at 5:30?" I repeat, phrasing it as a question knowing she likes to be asked things.

The look of pure distain on her face has me shocked. "I will never go back to Blue Water, ever again." She states with such finality and animosity.

Confused by her anger I ask, "Why's that?"

She chuckles humorlessly, "Does it even matter at this point?"

"I don't understand why your getting upset." I reply, hearing the hurt in her voice.

"Please, drop it." She says, fiddling with her silverware.

We start eating, I'm aware of all her movements. Why is she so emotional? Dad interrupts my musings to ask me about the landscaping and what I plan on doing with the yard.

Not wanting to get wrapped up in a topic I couldn't care less about, I turn to Mom. "I have no idea, maybe you could suggest a few things?" I ask her. Beaming from ear to ear she agrees, leaving Dad and her discussing a tennis court and an English garden. "What happened at Blue Water?" I question, unable to leave it alone.

The incredulous look on her face tells me its bad, giving in she answers, "That was were I discovered you didn't want me anymore."

Picking up her wine glass she joins the conversation with Eva and Ruxin about an Art Gallery that just opened. "What are you talking about?" I ask, interrupting her conversation. "You left me." I hiss, not caring who hears. Everyone stops talking. Pip looks around embarrassed and  graciously excuses herself. I stand up following closely behind. Getting angrier with every step. Opening the back patio doors for her she walks out and I do the same, shutting the doors roughly. "Explain." I demand, losing my temper.

"Xavier, think really hard about the day I broke up with you." She challenges.

"Oh, I remember it perfectly. The phone call that ended everything. I wasn't even deserving of a face to face break up. You didn't even tell me why you didn't want to be with me anymore." I accuse.

She scoffs, "You know what's worse? I actually thought that you'd remember. That the day after we broke up that it would occur to you. I'm such a fool. You did me a huge favor that night. Not showing up for our anniversary dinner at Blue Water was the best thing that you ever could've done for me! But don't stand here acting like I wronged you, you selfish prick. I fought tooth and nail for our relationship and you couldn't even be bothered to call me that night. You might've "just" got a phone call, but I got nothing from you. No fight, nothing! You were gone long before I ever left you and you know it." She yells, pushing past me she walks down the cobbled stone path to the front of the house.

How the hell could I have done that? It can't be true. Taking out my phone I pull up the dates from the security footage. June 3rd. I am a fucking prick! I jog down the path she took not finding her in font of the house or in the car. I text Joe to meet me out front, no doubt cutting his meal short. Minutes later we are out of the driveway and down the street looking for her. We find her walking briskly about a block from my parents. Joe pulls over and I get out, calling out to her but she doesn't look back. When I catch up to her I run in front of her, effectively stoping her from continuing.

"Look, I'm sorry." I say, feeling horrible.

"Oh, it's okay." She replies, sarcastically.

"What do you want me to do? Name it." I reply, meaning every word.

"I want you to drop me off at home and forget you ever knew me. Thats what I want." She answers, hotly.

"Don't ask me to do that." I shake my head.

"Why not? You were doing a bang up job of it for so long!" She shouts.

I lower my head, knowing I can't defend myself. I didn't fight for her or our relationship. I was a stupid piece of shit that didn't even listen to my own instincts. I should've questioned what my friends had seen, I didn't look into what happened. All I did was shut down, losing Pip in the process.

"I was wrong. I was hurt and I can't change what happened." I respond, wanting her to accept my apology.

"Exactly, Xavier. You can't change it and I can't forget." She states, firmly.

I nod, "I'll take you home."

Piper Keller

    On the ride back to my house I turn to Xavier, "Please, apologize to your parents for me and Eva and Ruxin."

"I'll talk to my mom and dad, but I think you'll be seeing a lot more of Eva than you thought." He responds, almost amused. "If Eva wants to be someone's friend there is no stoping her. She relentless, I almost pity you." He says, fondly.

"I thought she was your really good friend?" I ask, curious.

"Very good friend, yes. However, she can be very aggressive. But don't take my word for it, you'll see." He answers, ominously.

I don't see anything wrong with Eva or her personality. If anything we'll get along fine, I'm used to Liz. She can't be any worse, right?

I feel Xavier's gaze as I have for most of the drive, but now its making me anxious to get home. Even after fighting with him and refusing to have anything to do with him after tonight I have this gut feeling it wasn't heard. Xavier isn't going away. I'm going to have to do my best to avoid him and have Liz take over the last details involving the house. If he seeks me out I'll just have to reject him until it gets through his thick skull. He won't win me back just because he had a change of heart about me leaving. That time has pasted and I won't be that weak.