Eric could hear Mike snickering. Payback is a bitch, he thought and said evenly:

"No, but there is also another meaning to the word which I'm sure, Mike will gladly explain to you."

Mike's look was priceless, but he had to give it to him, he recovered quickly.

"Chick can be also used for girls, Teddy, but it's not a nice word to use. I shouldn't have used it."

"Oh." Teddy processed this.

"Why you think there be a girl with Eric?"

"Yeah, Mike, why?" Eric asked sweetly, while Mirk fumbled for an appropriate answer to give to a young child.

Finally he settled with: "Because Eric stood me up and there had to be a good reason for it."

'Nicely done.' Eric thought a little astonished at how easily Mike had baled his way out.

Mike had brought two bottles of beer with him, which he was now opening, putting one on the table for Eric.

"Sooo, let's start with the..." Mike tried for a change in topic.

"I'll tell you later." Eric cut in protectively, only to state after a brief pause nonetheless: "He's mine now." Unconsciously hugging Teddy a little bit closer while saying that.

At that blank statement Mike eyes grew big but he gave Eric a nod, who knew he would have to tell the whole story once Teddy was asleep. He had never planned not to, but he didn't want to do it in front of Teddy. Somehow he was sure it wouldn't be good for the little boy, though he wanted to make clear to both, that Teddy was his and therefore simply went with that.

"So Teddy, you like pink?" Mike asked teasingly, smirking when Eric glared at him.

"Yes." Teddy answered innocently beaming at Mike, then he added: "Eric brought it for me."

Mike choked at his bier, while Eric tried to silence his friend with another glare. Only, he was fairly certain his friend wouldn't be intimidated by it in the slightest. And sure enough Mike said:

"Did he now?" Giving Eric and Teddy a wide smile, clearly enjoying this.

Teddy nodded earnestly.

Eric decided it would be wise to end this, before his friend could gather more ammo against him or hurt Teddy accidentally and got up, putting Teddy on the ground.

"Now why don't we get you to sleep, Teddy, like we wanted to before Mike came over."

Teddy was looking at his new friend with regret, but followed Eric without a fuss.

"Bye, Mike."

"Bye Teddy."

Back in the bedroom Eric took his time with Teddy, staying with him until he was asleep. He knew Mike wouldn't mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On his return Mike wordlessly handed him his beer. Taking it, Eric got once more comfortable on the couch, taking a sip and taking his time. Once he had organized his thoughts, he began to tell Mike about the pasts events. Mike listened thoughtfully without interrupting him and stayed quiet for a while once Eric was finished.

"I'm sorry for you that Ethan and his wife died."

Eric gave him a short nod, appreciating it.

"Though, about Teddy, I'm sure you will be fine."

"You sure?" Eric wasn't so sure about that. He would never hand Teddy over to someone else, especially after the promise he made but that didn't mean he didn't felt overwhelmed and unsecure. Both feelings he loathed with a passion.

"Yeah, I know you, remember. Also I wanted to tell you that you can count on me if you need help with something. I'm sure it will be the same with Jack. You will tell Jack also, will you?"

"Yes." Then Eric added "You can also tell him, if you meet him before I do."

"Sure. Will do."

They stayed quiet for a while, before Mike said: "I could ask my mother if she still has some of our toys. I remember her storing them back then."

"Thanks Mike. I sure will need them. Right now I don't even have a proper bed for Teddy to sleep in."

Eric sighed. There was so much he had to take care of right now.

"How about I bring Jack tomorrow evening and we'll contrive a plan of action together."

Relieve flooded through Eric. Sure he only had these two friends but he could always count on them and then there was also the surprise support in form of Sean and his wife.

Mike and Eric talked some more and it was already late when Mike finally left. When he made himself comfortable on his couch for the night, Eric still felt overwhelmed but knowing he wasn't in it alone had taken the edge of him and he felt himself drift off to sleep a little easier than the night before.