Chapter Sixty Five

Start from the beginning

He walked out with Joran toward the cliff face and watched as his son climbed up the steep path cut into the side of the wall of stone. When Joran was almost at the top, Liran turned away and headed toward the beach. Clouds obscured the sun for the moment, but they were few and small. He would see more sun before it set this evening. He looked forward to the golden light and rosy skies that would happen in the next while. He was trying hard to find beauty again in the world.

He strolled along, allowing the water to creep up the beach and over his bare feet. The damp sand beneath them crumbled out from under him and felt odd, but normal. The wind was subtle, catching his hair on occasion but not whipping his clothing about too much.

He passed to the other side of the wide sandy area where Elena had been anointed Field Marshall of Castillon. That had been a good decision.

He reached the other side of the open area to the spot where the section of beach narrowed as the cliff protruded out over the water and left only a narrow path. There lay the deep cave where he had called upon Maylani, and then it opened out again onto another long stretch of beach.

At the far end, too distant to see clearly, he noticed a single figure. After a time, the figure appeared larger as it came closer. There were often others who wandered these shores, and sunset was a time that attracted them.

He paused there by the cave entrance and looked out over the water. The gentle waves, accompanied by a shushing noise, soothed him. They caressed his feet with damp cool hands.

He breathed deeply, taking in the tang of salt and the freshness brought in from out over the sea. There was beauty in all these things too.

A little more peace fell over him. The sun peeked out from behind cottony clouds and blinded him with its bright golden rays. He squinted in defence. The sunshine warmed his face.

He lost track of time, absorbed in the tiny details of his surroundings. At some point he became aware of someone nearby, though there were no sounds to tell him. Despite this, he felt no alarm, only the presence of someone familiar, though how he knew, he couldn't say.

It only took him a moment to identify who it was, but his mind had difficulty with the idea. How could it be her?

He opened his eyes and looked to his left. There she was, right beside him, gleaming in the golden light of the late afternoon, staring out over the water just as was.

His mouth opened, but no words came. Elena breathed in deeply.

"This was always one of your favourite spots."

She looked out over the water, her voice as real as the last time he'd heard it. She turned to look at him and smiled. His heart jumped as his mind started to believe. She was really there.

"You're here."

She laughed a little at his expression and smiled again, leaving him completely disarmed. He looked down at his feet in the water.

If she was really here, it must be because of him. The pounding in his chest deafened him. Would he have a chance now to say the things he regretted not having said before?

She nodded.

"I know." She shook her head a little and her expression made him believe that somehow, she understood everything. Why wouldn't she, after all. They had shared everything. Every private, secret thought that they had never wanted to say to each other had been exposed.

Nothing had really changed at all since then. He had only been waiting for a chance, not believing he might actually get one.

He gasped for breath. This was his chance.

She tilted her head a little and looked solemnly at him. She reached up and touched his cheek, and he noticed they were damp with his tears.

Her breath was sweet and her face was smooth and unblemished. If he had ever thought her beautiful, now she was radiant. She cupped his face in her hands and pressed her lips to his. He slipped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer. Liran understood then that the emptiness that had plagued him had vanished.

Their foreheads rested together as they looked at one another. Liran cleared his throat.

"Now what?"

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca