Pinky Finger

I should have practiced more. I thought to myself as the choir director cut everyone off.

"Just take a deep breath. You were just a half beat late."

I was thankful for her kindness. My days were solely filled with class, rehearsals, and endless hours in the practice room.

Before she could start the choir again, a snort came from the back of the room.

"Maybe if she practiced more, she'd get her entrance."

My mind raced for a response. I was a music major. Everyday my mind is filled with doubt, but I had to keep my insecurities on the inside.

Before I could say anything, someone spoke for me.

"Practice more?" He said with anger. "That's all she does. You sit here, in your single music class, with your smart ass mouth while she juggles five nightly rehearsals, the classes throughout the day, and her fifty plus practice hours a week. Did I mention she works at a music store? All she does is practice, and I've had the luxury of getting to walk by the practice rooms around 6pm and hear her play. Out of all the musicians in this school, I'd want to sit in on here juries. That, by the way, she has to memorize eight pieces for. She has more musical talent in her pinky finger than you do in your entire body."

The director was speechless, but I let out a small breath and relaxed a little.

...

I finally got my entrance and class continued as normal. We had a regular, large rehearsal that evening. As I put my folder into my bag of 'music essentials', I looked around the room for my savior, you could say, but he had already left.

As I walked out of the room, I heard someone playing the piano in one of the practice rooms.

I knocked lightly on the door and pushed it open. As it clicked shut behind me, he stopped playing.

"I'm sorry for stating basically your whole life to the choir. I shouldn't have done that."

I gave a soft chuckle.

"It's okay, really." I slid to the floor. "I can stick up for myself well enough, but knowing that someone is here to back me up makes life a little more bearable." I let out a sigh and leaned my head against the wall. "I've been having a lot of self doubt, and you sticking up for me melted some of it away."

He gave a sad smile. "I wish I could help more, you know."

"In all honesty, you help me more than you think." I replied, checking my watch. "I have to go to another class, but I'll be practicing for around 2 to 6 before rehearsal tonight. If you want to come sit in."

He looked up and smiled at her. "I'd like that."

She opened the door to leave but he called to her. She turned around, and he was holding up his pinky. Holding up her pinky in response, he winked.