Chapter 5

Alexis

After these guys... Newsboys, I guess, intermission hits. Thank goodness. I need a break. I sit down again and grab my phone, going straight back to YouTube and typing in Britt Nicole's name once more. Annie sits besides me, looking over my shoulder.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Is she a Christian singer?"

Annie smiles. "Oh... yes she is. She does some crossover so she's a little known in the secular world. She glances at all the titles I'm scrolling through and points to "Through Your Eyes".

"That one's one of her songs that's more obviously Christian. And that one."

"The Lost Get Found". I could have guessed that one.

Annie points out several more... "All This Time", "Work Of Art", and "When She Cries"... before I give in. So, she's Christian. Great.

And a thought hits me.

"What about Skillet?"

They're not ****** religious.

"Look them up," Annie directs, and I obediently type in their name. There's no way she's convincing me on this one.

"Monster", obviously, is the first one that comes up, but she directs me to scroll down, and points to "The Last Night".

"That one's written from Jesus' point of view."

My mind flicks through the lyrics. Wait... ugh. That actually makes sense. But that's one song.

"Have you heard that one?"

"Stars".

"Um... I've heard of it," I reply carefully. "I think they sang it at the concert I went to this summer."

"Well, that one's actually a worship song."

Oh, that's fantastic.

She hesitates before adding, "And if you've been to another concert of theirs, do you remember the intro John did for "Hero"?"

I think for a minute before answering. "Um... something about whoever was your hero... but he wrote it for... someone... I didn't really hear it, because as soon as the first syllable was out of his mouth, half the crowd started screaming at the top of their lungs."

"Well, he said Jesus Christ. He always does."

"Oh."

And, she's got me. How could I not have known this? I've been listening to them since I was eleven.

"But," Annie adds after a long moment, "They're definitely a cross-over band. A lot of people listen to them without even knowing they're Christian. After all, they are the number one rock band in America."

I sigh. "Yeah, I guess."

I don't have the motivation to ask about any of the others. When I think about it, it's not that hard to see with NF, and I don't know anyone else.

This is just **** dandy.

Apparently, KB wasn't using Jesus' Name in vain.

This really sucks.

But whatever. What Annie said earlier is true. Even if the entire freaking crowd is worshiping Someone who doesn't exist, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music for what it is.