Chapter III: Master

Start from the beginning

"You're such a vulgar"—

Hermione is cut off by Shacklebolt. "Stop, both of you. It seems we'll be amending our plans. Miss Granger and Mr. Nott will no longer be going back to Hogwarts."

Nott scoffs as if to say 'obviously' again.

"What about Luna Lovegood, sir? Has she arrived yet? Is she alright?" Hermione asks desperately, her mind traveling back to her friend.

"What she's just done could cost us everything, Shacklebolt." Petrov growls as he looks from Malfoy to Hermione.

"It is possible." Shacklebolt agrees.

"She isn't even a part of our resistance, anymore! She acts without orders! She's cost lives! Now, she has likely cost us the war! Other spies in the Death Eater ranks could become compromised! She isn't worth our losses. I don't care if she is the one that enacted the spell, or that she's the best friend of Harry Potter!"

"She is still useful." Shacklebolt murmurs and is almost drowned out by Petrov's shouting.

"Don't be sentimental! She is no longer an asset to our operation!"

Hermione's teeth grind in fury, but she holds her tongue. When she still wore the discerning Orange band of the Order, she'd crossed their commands more than once, going off her own gut instinct. It had cost them. She'd made mistakes, cost lives. Guilt remains a large part of her mindset today, but more so is the remembrance of Harry. How he was smeared and tossed away by so many when he died. The-Boy-Who-Lived... no more.

Harry had died for these people. That's all he got out of his choices: death. They remember him fondly, miss him definitely, but he's still dead. Ron is dead. Ginny is dead. So many are dead. She decided a long time ago that she fights for ghosts. At least ghosts can never betray her.

"Gentlemen." McGonagall says coolly, her voice soft but firm. "We can argue this while we file reports and get Mr. Malfoy to the infirmary. Mr. Nott is right for once."

"Of course I am."

McGonagall glares at him and he rolls his eyes before turning and walking out of the room. Shacklebolt and Petrov soon follow leaving Hermione alone with the elder woman. Words careen in her mind like a tumultuous sea and she considers for just a moment that she is back in her second year, enthused and brimming with possibilities. The professor was younger then... like her.

"Did Luna make it back alright?" Hermione asks again through the heavy silence.

McGonagall's face softens, easing the hard lines of exhaustion. "She arrived ten minutes before you and Mr. Nott, Miss Granger. We had her apparated to the infirmary at our main Headquarters."

Hermione visibly relaxes, her eyes slipping closed and a sigh escaping her lips. "Good."

"You'll be reporting there as well with Mr. Malfoy to inspect his injuries and both you and Mr. Nott will file an official report with Senior Commander Shacklebolt."

Hermione bites her lip knowing what's coming next. "I can't go back to Hogwarts. Nott can't either. Riddle will realize he's a Phoenix spy now. Petrov is right. I've endangered the other spies."

"Yes." She agrees tightly. "You will both have to go into hiding, as well. You will continue on with your mission, however. We can't allow this to disrupt our goal. The Order must get ahead of Voldemort."

Hearing her use Riddle's chosen title makes her sick with disgust. She'd once used the name years ago, but it's nothing more than a falsehood, now. He's no god, nor is he immortal. He will die. She will see to that, whether she lives through this war or not.