Prologue

It was an early Monday morning. The smell of stress and desperation filled the freezing air. The clerks were busying themselves behind the counters, giving out information, filing documents, and sending people in their merry ways. Some went out with gleaming eyes that were now looking at the world with a new set of goals and determination while others were trying their best to keep their head high as they bid goodbye to their hopes and dreams.

An everyday citizen would see this building as a simple documentation bureau while the ones who sought it and came in saw it as their almighty judge. This was the place capable of putting the final seal on their future.

While papers were being typed, nails were being chewed on, and hairs were falling out, there was that one lady sitting on the corner with a heavy conscious and a broken heart. With one quick glance throughout the room, she could have been passed for any of the rest of these people. However, if anyone were to take a closer look, they would notice the differences she refused to acknowledge.

That particular young lady was none other than Miss Anita Desbois, ex-future Mrs. Hector Barrero.

Anita Desbois sat at the corner of the immigration office with her black pantsuit on, papers ready, and a very stupid idea in her stubborn little brain. She wasn't like the poor unfortunate soles out here seeking refuge and hope. She already had her hope, she had her taste of the American dream and she had decided that she didn't quite enjoy the bitter aftertaste of capitalism and pitiful charity.

She was going back to that small island that she held so dear to her precious little heart. She was finally going to do what she had dreamed about for years now. There was no one to stop her, no responsibilities, no guilt. It was just her and her carefree past finally reuniting.

Like all best laid plans, this one was about to splash all over her face because at that moment, her phone vibrated. She had half a mind to let it go to voicemail but then, this might just be her last call on this land. She pulled out the small little device out of her bag which has yet to be established as the best or worse move of her life.

In the small screen there was the picture of a middle aged man throwing his best Colgate smile at her. His dark gray eyes were taunting at her, forcing her to remember the memories she had repressed in order to manipulate her own self.

"Ma'am, you can't have your cellphone here." The young Hispanic lady at the front desk signaled her to the big sign right next to her head with the red circle over all electronic devices. "You use your phone, we cancel your appointment."

All the previous times she had been inside this place, this one sentence used to scare her to bits. This time, not so much because she was hypnotized by the happy smile on her face while she hugged the man on her phone's screen.

In a matter of seconds, Anita was paralyzed with emotions and confusion. She was so certain moments ago, so ecstatic at the idea of returning to Haiti to continue on with the life she had left there. She had completely forgot about the life she had built in this country, especially about the man sitting at home in oblivious wonder, waiting for her to come home to him like every other nights.

She hadn't told him yet. She hadn't told him that last night would be the last one they would share, this morning was their last meal together, the goodbye kiss would be their last one, and the look they had shared through the rearview mirror would be the last he would ever see of her.

She hadn't told him because she was afraid he wouldn't let her go through with it. She had to do this. She had to leave him and this place and never come back.