Chapter 2

| picture to the side is of Tracey |

That following morning, I woke up to the smell of bacon. I guess my mother didn’t have to work this morning. I sat up in the bed, and realized that Abby wasn’t in her place. Mom must have her. I lay back on my bed, my arm folded under my head. All I could think about was that stupid text and the argument with Tracey. I can’t believe he cheated on me. I can still feel the pain in my chest, a pain Tracey had never caused me. Everything just feels so surreal. My eyelids felt so sore, from all the crying I did last night. I might as well get up and go eat before he comes by. Walking into the kitchen, the aroma hit me.
“Good morning sweetie,” my mom said sitting at the table feeding Abby.

I went to kiss her cheek and Abby’s forehead. “Good morning.”

I fixed my plate of food and sat near Abby.

“Rough night?” she asked as I played with my food. I guess my mom sensed something was wrong because she was by my side in a flash.

“Honey, what’s wrong? Did something happen between you and Tracey?”

I looked into her eyes to see so much concern that I couldn’t stop the tears from pouring.

“He cheated mom,” I managed to say as she engulfed me in a hug. I needed that so much.

“I am so sorry baby,” she cooed.

“He lied to me. After everything that has happened between us, he decides that I’m not good enough.”

“No baby, he’s the one that isn’t good enough. You-“ She was cut off by the sound of the doorbell.

“Mom that’s him,” I said, my heart beating faster than ever.

“I’ll get it,” she replied disappearing into the living room. I could hear them exchange words, and then footsteps coming my way. I quickly fixed my hair, and turned to Abby, with my back towards the entrance. Abby was playing in her food and I couldn’t help but giggle. If no one else can make me happy, I know Abby always will.

“Hey Abby.” His voice gave me shivers.

“Dada,” she practically screamed as she lifted her arms, meaning she wanted him to pick her up. He came into my peripheral and picked Abby up. He has on grey sweatpants and a black t-shirt.

“Jada, I got you these,” he replied as he held up my favorite flowers, white roses. I just stared at them; part of me wanting to take them, but I didn’t. He let out a sigh, and laid them on the table in front of me.

My mom tried to make conversation with Tracey, but I tuned them out. All I could think about was that text. What did I do wrong for him to want another girl? So many thoughts were going through my mind, that I had to get away from him. Just as I was going to leave, he grabbed me by my elbow. I looked at him like he was crazy, because he’d never grabbed me like that.

“Can we please talk in private? For a few minutes?” he asked with pleading eyes.

“We have nothing to talk about, now let go of me.” He let go of my elbow, and I glanced at my mom.

“Just talk to him Jada, it won’t be bad.” I sent her a death glare, but then looked back at Tracey. Getting a good look at his face, I noticed under eye baggage that wasn’t there yesterday. I so badly wanted to run my fingers along his face, just to let him know that I care, but I can’t do it right now.

“Fine,” I said softly, and turned on my heel to go to my room. By the sound of his footsteps, I knew he was on my heel.

When we made it to my room, he closed the door.