Wading

Myli |

I sat in the middle of my bedroom smashing the food my mother made. I wiped my face with a napkin before leaning against the bed. "Na that shit was mad good" We talked for a couple hours before I snuggled into bed.

I opened my eyes and looks around the dark room. Propping myself on my elbows I looked out the window. I yawned as I laid back down. Everything that happened earlier popped back into my head. I groaned as I turned over.

I shuffled out of my room and down the stairs. I left the fridge open as I hopped on the kitchen counter eating my string cheese.

"Wassup sis" Cam said walking into the kitchen.

"Cam what the hell, you almost made me drop my cheese" I said squinting at him. 

"My fault big head. You good" He asked walking up the fridge "Why you up so late"

"I dont know I just woke up. I couldnt go back to sleep so here I am" I said putting my hand under my face and smiling. "What about you, why you down here"

"Shit i'm always up truthfully" He said shrugging. We sat in silence for a moment.

"That nigga never gonna learn" He said 

"Huh" I said looking over at him "What you talking about"

"Dad. That nigga is never gonna learn yo" He said shaking his head

"You think he really gonna marry her" I leaned back resting my head on the cabinets.

"Man that nigga so unpredictable. I couldnt even tell you. My mom is one thing. We all seen them fight but cats and dogs but yours" He said pointing towards the steps. "Na thats another other thing. I thought he would die alone after that"

"I'm not even mad at that. Mommy has a lil boo she's trying to keep a secret. Its the fact that I cant remember the last time he called on my actual birthday since he moved out, and now he's just popping out with a whole new family. Tell me you dont feel played" I said trailing off.

"I'm sorry. That was selfish" I said softly. I dropped my head down, and looked at my feet.

"I wouldnt call that selfish at all sis. You can carry all his problems. He dont care neither should we. Fuck him we good" He said. I walked over to him and hugged him tightly. I was grateful for my brother.

"You know i know how this shit go" He said.

"I know my mom will hold it down regardless. I just hate seeing her hurt bro. I hate it" I whispered.

"Nah mommy strong, shes going to be good" He replied.

"What about you?" I looked at him.

"As long as my family good, i'm good. His bullshit don't even phase me anymore. Why you think we never talk forreal." He said 

I shook my head as I went in for another hug. I told him I would see him later as I closed my bedroom door. 

The days following were a blur. This situation had really put me into a funk. I had talked to my mother about it but it still bothered me badly. My father made it no better by blowing up my phone.

Cameron and Essence trailed behind each other as they entered my room. I sucked my teeth and rolled my head looking over at them

"Myli. Im not policing you cause I know you're  hurt but its been a week and you still sitting her looking funky" Cameron said as he held his nose

"This is not the Mymy I know, it not about to be you" He said pulling the covers off me.

"Myli. We've been friends since we were 10. I have never seen you so sad. Especially over anybody else and their bullshit" Her voice was shaky like she was crying. "I cant let you sit here and be sad over your fuck ass daddy"