Chapter Nineteen~*

Start from the beginning

He nods swiftly, not meeting my eyes. "Alright. Well, we can go to your room if you want."

I think back to all the stairs and how I really wasn't in the mood. "How about I finish my cereal and we go to your room?" He looks at me quickly, quizzically. "I'm just really tired and not in the mood to walk up the stairs. If that's alright with you."

For the first time since we started talking, his lips pull up into a small, very small, smile. "Yes, I'm alright with that."

I nod in agreement, swallowing down my nerves. This was Jeff, the man I've spent the most time with in the mansion. I have no reason to be nervous. With that in mind, I quickly eat my cereal, my eyes never able to leave him. I can't really point out what exactly it was but he seems older and more mature. Maybe it is the way he holds him himself, his usual foot tapping and other movements that seem to have been stilled by something inside of him. Maybe it is his face, which has always been thin and angular but that he now seems to have finally grown into. I always forget Jeff is a little older than myself and his childish personality had never helped.

He sits beside me as I eat, his eyes on the door. I feel such a strong urge to wrap myself around him and never let go. Seeing him in front of me now, so calm and still, I can't believe there was ever a part of me that hated him. He looks at me from the corner of his eye, noticing my stare. I quickly look down and finish up the cereal. As soon as I'm done, I practically jump up and toss my bowl into the sink. It bounces slightly, the spoon spilling out into the sink. I compose myself, hiding my nerves and mounting excitement.

"I'm ready when you are," I say, running a hand through my still very short hair.

He nods and gets back up, stretching slightly. "Let's go."

We go up the stairs together, standing closer to each other than was necessary on the wide stairs. I feel like I have no control of my actions when I'm near him. The most recent times we've spoken were so much easier because all I could see when I looked at him was the man who abandoned me when I needed him the most. Now, when I look at him, it feels like I'm looking at a completely different man.

When we get to his room, he holds the door open for me and I step in cautiously, looking around. His room is as neat as ever but there is something about it that tells it hasn't been used very often. I think of all the trips he's taken and how little I've seen him around the mansion. The door closes behind Jeff and he goes to sit on the bed, his eyes on me. He makes no movements to ask me to sit by him; he just sits there, watching. I feel slightly uncomfortable under his gaze and hesitantly cross the room to sit next to him.

"Get as comfortable as you must," He says almost right away. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Can you help me take the sling off?" I ask carefully.

His eyebrows draw together in a frown. "Is that a good idea? I don't want anything to happen if you take it off."

I wave a hand dismissively. "It's fine. I usually don't wear it in my room. The medicine here is helping it heal a lot faster than it would have normally."

Jeff nods and, with soft touches, undoes the sling. I move my arm into a more comfortable position, being extremely careful. If Jeff had been staring at me before, he is now looking at me with the intensity of an animal tracking their prey. I continuously feel more and more uncomfortable under his gaze. It takes everything I have not to squirm. It feels like he's trying to pin me in place with just his eyes.

"Am I making you uncomfortable? I don't mean to. I'm just memorizing your face. I don't want to risk forgetting it in case something happens."

I feel my face get hot and I can't find anything to say in response. So, instead of saying anything, I lay down. Jeff shifts to see me better and, without really thinking about it, I grab his arm and tug him down beside me. He resists slightly at first but gives in quickly. He lays beside me, his eyes once more on my face. He's so close to me, making my heart race incredibly. I can't help but wonder where all these feelings were hiding every other time I spoke with him.