Somebody Else [Valentine's Day Special]

The obligatory high school au, as a Valentine's Day present to you guys <3

Everyone at Goode High School knew that Percy and Annabeth had a thing for each other. Whispers were exchanged every time the pair walked through the same corridor - always sneaking a small smile at the other as they did so. In class, they always worked on projects together - somehow Annabeth's ability to analyse every situation and come up with a strategy worked with Percy's passionate creativity.

Their friends always tried their best to get Percy and Annabeth to do things together - even going as far as to sit the two together at the cinema during the time when they'd all gone to see the latest Avengers movie.

It's safe to say that everyone who knew them, and everyone who didn't (including the teachers) wanted them to get together. Even Percy's old girlfriend Rachel knew that they were meant to be.

But the only problem is that though everyone knew Percy and Annabeth had a thing for each other, the pair themselves had no idea.

Yup, that's right - those oblivious idiots were stuck in a swirling tornado full of crushing and friendship.

It was coming up to their fifth year anniversary as friends - almost three long years of secretly crushing on her dark haired friend for Annabeth, and she was getting sick of it. She knew that she had to do something fast: she couldn't handle the pain of Percy with someone else - Rachel had been bad enough. And she had always known that Percy wouldn't be the one to make the first move. So she came up with a plan - a series of notes slipped into Percy's locker, each one confessing her love to him.

Well, it wasn't exactly Annabeth-style, but that's not the point.

What to write on the notes? Cheesy love letters, or something else - something more? Something deeper, perhaps. Something close to home...

Nope.

Eyes as green as ocean,
Voice smooth like waves
Your touch sets my heart on fire,
It's what I most desire
- WG

Perfect.

So unlike Annabeth, that it would be difficult to tell. 

Of course, as soon as Percy received the note, he came straight to Annabeth. Her heart squeezed as she saw the panic on his face, and immediately put her hand on his arm, running smooth circles into his skin.

"What is it, Perce?" She asked softly.

He gulped and passed her the note.

"Oh, a secret admirer?" Annabeth glanced up at Percy with a small smile. "Who do you think it is?"

"I - I don't know," Percy said, running a hand through his hair. Annabeth watched the motion, wishing she could run her fingers through those dark locks - which had slightly overgrown and become a tangled mess, she had noticed.

Annabeth pursed her lips. "Surely there would be some kind of clue?"

"Just W and G. Do you know anyone with those initials?" 

Annabeth shook her head. "Well, maybe you should wait and see if there's another one?"

"There won't be another one." Percy furrowed his eyebrows.

"Trust me, there will be another one." Annabeth said.

She waited two days.

More like endured two days of watched Percy constantly opening the note, his eyes squinting as he attempted to make out the words through his dyslexia.

The next note came on Friday, and left Annabeth to try and help Percy through the weekend.

You're so sweet and caring,
The trickling of a stream
Your face a godly divine,
How I wish you'd be forever mine
- WG