We all knew life could not be altered, the rules were clear for the lower class who lived in the dirty towns, you would die working, or sickness, or you could soon die of hunger. There was no lucky break for us, life could only be improved in the smallest of ways but while strikes went on I had learned to be thankful fearing of things to alter for the worst. My family and I knew who we were and where we were headed, in this we were united and in this was most of our earthly comfort in overcoming the London extremes. And so like the other families we grew up with nothing handed to us and it did not make us bitter but it did make me unmovable for the best and for the worst. My emotions were constant as the North Star, and a serious maturity was etched on the deep line between my eyebrows and folded hands, and nothing about it bothered or scandalized me.

It was odd to see in minutes most of the scenario had changed, girls were wearing heavy coats, leather gloves with detailed bonnets trailing their dresses behind them. Men had clean faces with their black top coats, bowler hats, shiny black shoes and pressed shirt collars. Soon the carriage stopped in front of the corner brick town house which was the most unkempt of the lot, some bay windows and an uninviting front porch where I walked up the stairs with my bags and knocked.

"Miss Alice Stewart?"

"Yes ma'am."

"The carriage was sent late my apologies, Gertie forgot to do it, she's been quite odd since the passing of ol' Becca well I guess we all've been. I'm Mrs. Hall" she smiled when she opened the door and the heat of the house warmed my face.

"My condolences Mrs. Hall and about the carriage I did not notice it." Instead of calling me straight in she talked on about the delicate situation I was employed under and it only made for a guilty conscience, to get a job upon the death of someone else was a terrible thing.

"Oh you are a proper young thing just like your aunt said you'd be."

"I hope so Mrs. Hall," the warmth of the house called me forward but I stayed outside until Mrs. Hall called me in.

"Oh I've made you wait out in the cold, come in girl it's a terrible winter out," she turned around for me to follow and I was quick to move my frozen feet on to the marble floor hall of the house for the first time.

"Thank you Mrs. Hall."

"Welcome to the Howard household, I hope you'll be here for a long time to come, Lord knows the other maid ran away quickly but in our defense she was rather silly with her haunted stories and all." Mrs. Hall surprised me with the news there had been another maid after Rebecca's death and I trailed behind her like a pet.

The home was decorated in the Victorian manner, dark wallpapers, stained glass windows covered by heavy curtains that were shut and many portraits hung on the walls above the stuffed furniture and few candlesticks were lit. The house was in mourning for Rebecca, as Mrs. Hall herself wore all black against her soft and thin old skin, though I could not recall a master who allowed an entire household to mourn a subordinate for more than two days.

"It is good you did not have to travel for long to get here."

"Yes it is."

"I hope your family is getting on fine."

"They are all well."

"Great so onto the staff of the house we have a cook, a valet and myself so not many names to memorize."

"Right ma'am and how big is the Howard household if I may ask? I was not told any details when I was accepted for the service."

"We only have one master."

"One master?" I was caught off guard, I had never worked for just one person before and did not know what to expect so Mrs. Hall obliged my reaction with a reply.

"Yes one very demanding master though I think him generous to not put us out of work, I guess he ought to know he is quite the hand full."

"Generous?" I tried to make sense of the characteristic in contrast to demanding and what it meant about the house's master.

"Yes but dear do not mistake his generosity for lack of strength, I can assure you the master is most severe if tangled with in any manner."

"Yes ma'am," a worried expression set on her face and I was warned down to my soul to not judge my employer anymore.

"Let me show you to your quarters, they've been recently separated we each have our own room, it is a great relief for those of us who are light sleepers." She led me up to the attic and stopped at the first door which was to be mine.

Inside the bedroom I settled my things on a chair and sat on the coziest bed I had ever had the pleasure of calling mine. The sheets seemed old but were not plain as expected, more of something too old to be used in a ladies room; the pillow was fluffed like a cloud and there were a couple of hooks on the wall to hang my clothes. After cleansing my hands on the water pot as to not spoil the pressed uniform, I changed into it for soon it would be dinner time and I was expected to serve it.

**********************************************
No part, character, names, plot, setting, conflict or resolution, point of view, theme or symbolism of this story may be replicated.

Copyright: All Rights Reserved to A. Sena Gomes.