Chapter Twenty Seven.

If the photo works it's of Belle.

Friday..................................

Belle was sitting at the kitchen table, trying to focus on her homework and failing miserably. Jade had been called into work and her father was asleep on the couch in the living room. She couldn't focus on her homework or the words that were written, despite what happened between them she was worried about Alex. Was he drinking right now? What if he hurt himself?

Suddenly she remembered that Maggie had given Belle her cellphone number a few weeks ago, she began flipping through the numerous school books until she finally found the crumpled piece of paper. Flattening it on the book to try and make it more legible she stood and snatched the phone off the hook and dialed.

"Hello?"

"Maggie? It's...Belle, "She said softly.

"Belle! Hi, how are you going?"

"I'm...I'm okay I just wondered if you'd heard from Alex lately."

"No, not since Dad went over there the other day. He's pretty pissed that Alex lost his job, they think you're who turned them in but I told them that's ridiculous. It wasn't you? Was it Belle?"

"No, absolutely not."

"I didn't think so, he's....he's uh...been hitting the drinks pretty hard lately."

"I know, I was worried about him. He won't talk to me anymore, he.....doesn't think we should see each other anymore."

"What an idiot," Maggie said.

"I just wanted to know if he was okay."

"He's not but.....there's nothing anyone can do about it."

"Yeah....I...guess....I"

"Belle!"Her fathers voice directly behind her interrupted.

She spun in her chair to face her very tall, very angry, very drunk father. He loomed over her and she slowly lowered the phone to her lap forgetting about Maggie.

"Daddy.....I...."

"Who the hell are you talking to?!"

"A....a....friend from school."

"I'm out working my ass off for you and when I want ten minutes of peace to sleep you wake me up chattering on the phone."

"I'm sorry....I....had a math question."

"Hey, Belle, are you okay?" Maggie called from the phone.

"Are.....you hungry? I can make you dinner." She offered, slowly standing from her chair.

"I'm not hungry I want some sleep!"He yelled.

"I'm sorry."

He crossed the floor and Belle instantly jerked away, dropping the phone to the floor even as he tore the base from the wall. The cords hanging uselessly.

"Dad....."

"Shut up!" He barked.

"I....I just had a question, for Maggie."

"You think I'm stupid girl? You think I don't know you were talking to a boy?"

"No...no I wasn't."

"If you're that into boys girl you just get your bony ass out of my house and go live with them."

"No....Dad....I wasn't."