22. Smaug Emerges

Third Person

Sigrid stepped into the cool night air. Behind her, the house was filled with the sounds of a young dwarf's screams. Her father had left long ago and still had not returned.

"Da?" she echoed into the darkness. There was a noise. "Da, is that you?"

There was no answer, and the girl turned to go back inside. But before she could close the door, she was startled by the appearance of an orc to her left.

Sigrid screamed in response, trying to slam the door closed behind her, but failing. All at once it seemed that a legion of orcs descended onto the small house, cramming through the door and jumping through the roof and windows.

The children screamed and scrambled, throwing plates and bowls at the monsters that came at them. Fili, was the lone protector of the house and grappled, weaponless, against the orcs that towered above him.

Sigrid pulled her little sister under the table, and tried her best to shield the little one from the onslaught. Bain attempted to help Fili keep the monsters at bay, but the more they fought, the more orcs seemed to rip into the house.

Finally, as an orc flipped aside the table that protected Sigrid and Tilda, a red head appeared in the doorway.

The elves had come.

Tauriel, slashed and sliced her way into the house, while Legolas dropped gracefully from the hole in the ceiling. They killed most of the orcs that assailed the small home, while Fili stayed near the children; wrestling any orc that came too near.

Even Kili, in his fevered and hazy state, rose to kill an orc that stood poised over the children, before falling back onto the floor screaming.

It was then that Tauriel saw the extent of his sickness. He was nearer death than she had anticipated.

--------------------------

"You killed them all."

Bain stood over the many orc bodies that covered the floor of his home.

"There are others" Legolas said solemnly before turning to the door.

Tauriel knew she was meant to follow, but could not help but stay rooted beside Kili's moaning form.

"He's slipping away" Fili said in a pleading tone.

"Tauriel" Legolas called, looking at her for a moment before leaving.

He was her lord. Her prince. She turned to follow. But was called back by the cry of the young dwarf. She struggled for a moment.

What could she do? She was no healer and had very little knowledge about the medicinal.

But she could not force herself down the steps and away from the dwarves.

Indecision broke over her before she saw a floppy hat run up the stairs. She stared down into Bofur's calloused hands that held an herb, she took it from him. She knew this herb.

"Athelas" she whispered to herself.

Bofur looked at her confusedly.

"I'm going to save him" she muttered before returning inside.

"Boil water" she said without looking away from Kili, who by now was lost to their words.

"Get him on the table, and elevate his head."

Her orders were followed wordlessly. However, the house was alight with the Kili's howls.

She steeped the green leaves into the hot water for a moment, allowing for their potency to be released. She had seen this done before. She tenderly wiped the sweat of his pale brow, and carefully examined his wound. It was swollen, blacked and throbbing. It would not be long before the poison reached his bloodstream.