12. Coin Pouch

Third Person

As the company drew nearer to the house of Beorn, they were able to appreciate the overabundance of flowers that encircled the grounds. Clusters of bright yellow and deep violet clover began to dominate the land. The sweet aroma of blooming flowers hung in the warm summer air, floating around the tired companions, and coaxing them into lighter moods. Huge, fiery bees flew peacefully around with a seemingly curious countenance. The dwarves were so enamored with the tranquility of the land that they (with the exception of a certain blonde prince) were blind to the odd behavior of one of their own and the sprite. The two had been acting strangely since the night before; they had grown bolder in their affections, but had not in fact discussed what had transpired between them. Both Renn and Kili were playing the waiting game. That is, cowardly waiting for the other to bring up the kiss.

Arenna let out a shrill shriek as strong arms encircled her waist and lifted her off the ground. Kili, her captor, gave a hearty laugh as he threw her small form over his shoulder and walked on merrily. The pair had lagged behind their companions, and were now free from nosy eyes and speculative whispers.

"Kili put me down." Arenna said, attempting to sound stern, but was given away by a giggle.

"And why would I do that?" the dwarf questioned, his broad smile evident in his deep voice.

"Because if you don't, I won't give your coin pouch back." Arenna answered, jingling the small leather pouch in her hand. She laughed in satisfaction at her own masterful thievery skills, and how well they worked; for Kili had stopped walking (obviously considering her release), but her smile faded when he continued at a skip, with her still laying across his broad shoulder.

"Nah" he said flatly, "how far can you get with it?" he had a fair point. Renn's only response was a slur of curses in her native language. It was a twisting, melodic sound that rolled and danced in the air and Kili noted how natural it sounded on her tongue, as opposed to Westron. Kili walked along, distracted with such thoughts for a moment. But a moment was all it took. Arenna, with alarming speed and strength, reached around and hooked her right arm around the dwarf's left shoulder. The sprite used Kili's momentary distraction to throw her weight forward and swing down, using his other shoulder as support. Kili, who was caught quite unaware, fell backwards at the sudden redistribution of weight, taking the newly freed Renn down with him. Arenna soon recovered and abruptly bolted in the direction of the others. Kili frowned in confusion as to why she had fled, before he realized his coin pouch was still missing. The laughing dwarf took off in hot pursuit.

------------------------------

Before long the small host came to a thick belt of giant, archaic oak trees, and beyond that, a hedge. A magnificent, dark green, impenetrable hedge. Here Gandalf halted abruptly, his eyebrows furrowed in thought.

"I, I think it would be wise if you waited here." He said, turning to his companions. "Beorn is not overly fond of visitors, especially dwarves, this should be handled with caution. Wait for me to call or whistle, and come in pairs, about five minutes in between." The wizard began to walk again, but stopped and addressed the group once more. "Except for you Bombur, you are fat enough for two, you come alone. Bilbo, Arenna, you better come with me." The sprite jumped in excitement, the hobbit in fear, and followed Gandalf to the hedge, and to the wooden door that was hidden in it.

Arenna's Point of View

Gandalf, Bilbo and I stood before a gigantic door; even Gandalf, who I considered to be a giant, seemed short in comparison. The door was of old, knotted wood and had intricate designs carved into it. Images of many different animals were carved into the oak, one stood out particularly to me, the image of a snarling bear. Gandalf pushed the door open, and we entered into Beorn's realm. Behind the door in the hedge lay a large, grassy plot of land speckled with a great number of bee hives. In front of the tall house, there was a garden, with a diverse collection of vegetables growing. Behind the house was a small wood of oak and beech trees. Altogether, it was a beautiful, simple dwelling. Many animals walked around the property, obviously wary of Gandalf and Bilbo, but they were not scared of me. I slowed my pace so that I was following behind the other two, and soon two goats and one pony were trotting next to me cheerily. I felt my consciousness reach out to them and greet them, it was second nature for a sprite. I received the usual responses: "Hello", "Why don't you have a tail" and (from the horse) "Do have any apples?" but another voice echoed in my mind.