Chapter 10- Sorrowful

One month later

        Today was the day Raoul would arrive home. He was to stay for much longer than he had been, and he couldn't wait to spend his days with his wonderful Christine, whom was to bear their child.

    Christine, however, was not as excited. She sat in her current state, in the master bathroom, shaking and sobbing violent, heartbreaking tears of despair. The floor was covered in blood, and she, too, was soaked in it.

Margot was on her break, and wouldn't be home for a few hours, past when Raoul was to arrive. Christine couldn't bear to clean it up herself, as she was too shocked. Her baby, Raoul's child, was gone.

The front door open, and Christine froze. Raoul would surely be angry with her, at least in her mind. Her breathing became even more uneven than before. Oh, how angry he would be!

"Christine!" he called. He ran up the stairs, looking for her. Again, he called, "Christine!"

The bathroom door was unlocked. Christine was still in a great deal of pain, but she couldn't bare to have him walk into this mess. She moved limply towards the door, reaching for the lock with a shaky hand.

She was too late. Raoul opened the door, nearly hitting poor Christine in the process. His eyes widened at the horror before him. Christine, ashamed to look at him, fell at his feet, crying once again.

"I am so sorry! You shall never forgive me, never!" she cried. Raoul began to cry with her, kneeling next to her. He knew immediately what had happened, and although his pain was just as strong as Christine's, he knew she needed him more than he could imagine.

"My love, I could never be angry with you. This wasn't your fault," he whispered, kissing her head.

"Oh, it is all my fault," she wailed, "Erik has cursed me, and now, it seems, we are both damned!"

"This has nothing to do with him, Christine. I promise you, these things happen. Don't cry, darling, don't cry," he begged her. Oh, how we wished he could stop his Christine from crying. Her tears never failed to breaking his heart beyond belief.

"You are far too fond of me, dear," she smiled sadly, "I'm not worthy of your love."

"Christine, you fly among angels. It is I who am not worthy."

They stayed together for a long while, holding each other and crying for their loss. Truly, they suffered together, through everything in their lives.

"Christine, let's get you cleaned up," he whispered after a long time of silence. He drew her a bath as she sat on the floor. He helped her remove her clothes, helping her into the bath. He shut the curtain, so as not to let her see the blood anymore, in an effort to close her away from the world for a moment. Margot arrived, helping him clean up everything left on the floor.

And he sat outside of the bathroom until Christine called for him. While he waited, he weeped for his unborn child, who no doubt was sitting with Christine's father in heaven. His child, who he was never to meet.

What was he to do? His beloved wife, whom he loved so dearly it nearly killed him to see her so distraught, could possibly be broken beyond repair. He wanted nothing more but to hold her in his arms forever and ever, whispering sweet words of affection into her ear. He wanted to see that beautiful, radiant smile he had seen prior to him leaving. He wanted Christine's happiness, for he couldn't be happy without her.

It was strange for Raoul, how one girl could be the center of his entire universe. When she would cry, he would cry. When she laughed, he laughed as well. When she was happy, he felt an enormous amount of joy. He wanted to make her laugh, but at a time as such it could quite be impossible.

"Dear, could you help me?" Christine called in her quiet, broken voice.

"Of course," he replied, rushing into the washroom at once. He helped her out of the tub, wrapping a towel around her immediately. She could walk fine, but Raoul picked her up, carrying her gently into their bedroom. He sat her on the bed, walking to her dresser to pull out one of her nightgowns.

He helped her into her nightgown, and he brushed her hair for her before she crawled into bed. He changed quickly, slipping into bed next to her. She yawned, turning into his arms. She shivered, and he pulled her closer.

"I love you, Raoul," she whispered. The pain and sorrow was still evident, even in her soft tone.

"I love you, Christine. Never forget that," he demanded, kissing her forehead. He waited to fall asleep until Christine's breathing slowed, and she fell into her slumber.

Welcome home, he thought to himself, Welcome home, indeed.

Short chapter and I'm so so so so so sorry but I recently reread the book version of phantom and I have so many new plans for this book and I'm so happy to be writing this and I love you all!