Chapter 7- What Am I To Do?

SMALL NOTE- The beginning of this is totally going to seem like something is going to happen but I promise you it won't. That isn't really my writing style, so just keep reading and trust me when I say that it won't lead in that direction. Also this chapter will be sorta small because we aren't to any big parts of the plot line quite yet.

 The minutes ticked by. Neither Raoul or Christine spoke a word. Christine and Raoul could both agree that it was a rather awkward moment, but neither said a word. Slowly, Raoul made his way towards Christine. Christine froze, unknown of what his intentions might be.

     Carefully and cautiously, as if even the slightest mistake might frighten his bride away forever, Raoul placed his lips upon Christine's. Of course, she immediately tensed. She was still not used to this sort of affection from a man. Nevertheless, she followed her instincts and wrapped her arms around his neck. Raoul smiled through the kiss, but did not pull away. He merely pulled Christine closer to him. Christine eased into his arms, forgetting the worries that had her mind occupied only moments ago. 

     Raoul took this as an opportunity to reach for the strings on Christine's dress, slowly untying the knots. Christine froze again, quickly pulling away and shoving Raoul aside. She ran into the washroom, slamming and locking the door behind her. Raoul sighed. He did not imagine his honeymoon going so poorly. 

   Christine, too, did not imagine the events that had just taken place. She knew very little of what was to happen on a honeymoon. She had wished she would have been told of these things. Christine frantically tied her strings to the best of her ability. She heard small knocks coming from the door. 

   "Just a moment!" Christine squeaked, wiping her lips with a cloth. She approached the door with caution, opening it as if she was trying to make no noise at all. 

    "Forgive me, Christine. I should have known you wouldn't be ready for such...relations," Raoul said stiffly.

    "I haven't the slightest clue what you mean. We were sitting on the balcony playing chess, and I told you I was going to the washroom. Am I not correct?" Christine asked, confusion spreading across her face.

     "Christine, I was-"

     "You were beating me at the game, if I remember rightly,"Christine interrupted. Raoul was suddenly frustrated. They certainly were not playing a game. If they were, Raoul was quite unaware of it. 

     "Have you fooled me, Christine? Were you playing a game with me all this time?" Raoul asked harshly. Christine's eyes widened. 

     "Chess! Chess! We were playing chess!" She insisted frantically, her eyes going wider. 

     "Darling, please, are you all right?" Raoul looked at Christine as horror filled her eyes. 

     "Raoul, he was watching! Erik, forgive me! I am yours! I am yours!" She cried, tears rushing down her cheeks. "Forgive me! I am yours!" She cried once again.

     "Christine, Erik isn't here," Raoul spoke softly, reaching for her arms. She stepped away. 

     "He is! He is!" She protested in agony. Raoul gently pulled her into his arms. Little Christine could never seem to keep the nightmares away. Raoul remembered what Madame Giry had told him when she came to visit them at the estate.

    Think of Christine as glass, Madame Giry had said, she has experienced many pains in her life: When her father died, a small crack spread across her, altering her forever. The opera ghost, too, has altered Christine forever.

   "How right she was. What am I to do?" Raoul whispered, so quietly that his love couldn't possibly hear him. Raoul pushed his thoughts away, and looked at Christine. "Christine, my love, why are you so afraid to be with me?"

    "I am with you now," She said, confused.

    "No, Christine. Why are you afraid to love me? I would love you, if you let me," Raoul explained. 

    "Erik wouldn't...I...I don't know, Raoul," She sighed. Raoul placed his hand beneath her chin, bringing her eyes up to meet his. He was closer now.

   "Trust me," Raoul whispered. Christine nodded gently, wrapping her arms around his neck once more. 

     And, so, they picked up where the beginning of their night had left off.