"Sorry my car's to small for you," I said as I pulled out onto the street. He shook his head, denying that it was.

About five minutes in of silent driving, Rhett faced me, "What are our plans for tonight, Mr. Neal?"

I suddenly realized what I was doing.

Was I really going through with this? This isn't a date that'll catch a man? What am I thinking?

"I...um..." I stumbled on my words, unsure of what to say.

"Well...um..." I spoke quieter, nervously.

I came to the stop sign at the end of the street and glanced over at Rhett, his pretty green eyes starring dangers into me.

"You want it to be a surprise. I should't ask. I can't wait to see what you have planned though," Rhett retreated back into the seat.

I felt like a idiot. Rhett must be expecting something nice, and what I was about to give him is mediocre, if worth his time at all. Pathetic.

About ten minutes later I pulled onto a dirt driveway. It wasn't long, but long enough to where you'd wanna drive down it rather than be on foot. When we reached our destination, I turned the key and looked towards Rhett.

If I was going to do this, I had to seem confident. So here goes nothing.

I quickly removed myself from the car, jogging to Rhett's door, where I opened it.

He thanked me again and emerged from the car, stretching out his couped up limbs.

"Where are we?" he asked, scanning the grounds around us.

I found the courage to grab Rhett's hand and pulled him towards the front door of the two story house in front of us.

It was a simple home, with white siding and a garden out front. A few rocking chairs were placed on the wide porch and a welcome mat decorated the floorboards.

I turned to Rhett, a nervous smile on my face, "Rhett McLaughlin, welcome to the home of Ester Neal, my grandmother."

As if on queue, my grandma came running out the screen door, "Link, you made it just in time. Dinner just left the oven. And you brought your friend, how cute is he?" 

She was a petite old woman with a certain skill for cooking. 

I looked up at Rhett then, to see him smiling down at my grandma who was pinching at one of his cheeks. 

I quickly grabbed grandmas hand, "Grandma, this is Rhett. Rhett, my grandma."

Grandma went in for a hug immediately, that Rhett accepted. 

He had to lean down quite a bit, but he didn't complain. 

"Link's told me a lot about you," she said.

"Oh well I hope they were all good things," Rhett joked, making my grandma giggle.

"Oh, of course they were! Now how about you two come inside and make yourselves at home. The jambalaya's ready."

We both complied and followed my grandmother into the house. I usually took my shoes off at the door, but grandma said it's be fine this one time. 

Within the next five minutes, Rhett and I were sitting at the kitchen table with bowls full of jambalaya before us.

Grandma left us be then, and went upstairs to get ready for bed.

I looked up at Rhett, blushing, "I know it isn't a five star meal, and there's no classy wine, but I promise my grandmas cooking is so worth it. I -"