Saint Brown's Home for Orphans

After the service, I was numb.

No more grandma. No more homemade chocolate chip cookies. No knitting. None.

She was officially gone.

And I am alone.

Looking around, the crowd was slowly diminishing. All those elderly humans I never caught the names off. The younger ones who brought the older ones were leaving as quickly as they could.

One by one, until it was just me.

I've noticed that I've become a shadow. No one thinks about me. I was barely even noticed, and now I'm left here alone. No way to get...home.

"Need a lift?" a familiar voice chimed from being. 

My heart picked up from the sudden scare, but also from the joy that Rhett had stayed.

"Um, yeah. That'd be nice. I don't actually know who was in charge of lugging me around all day. And apparently they didn't know they were in charger either."

Rhett chuckled, taking a seat next to me, "How you holding up?"

I shrugged, not answering his question. 

"You know, when my grandmother passed away, I didn't talk to anyone for a week."

I looked up at him and grinned, "How'd that work out?"

"I ended up having to go to a therapist and this and that. My mom thought that I was depressed. I wasn't depressed though, just ...numb."

He hit the nail on the bud.

"I know what you mean. How'd you get over it?"

"Mom made my grandmothers best casserole. The one with chicken and rice. And, I just realized, 'Hey man. She's gone. But she left you this amazing casserole recipe.'"

I laughed then. I laughed so hard I snorted. 

"Whoa, whoa. Maybe I should be a comedian. Who knew that'd be so funny?"

"So food? You got over it by food?"

He smiled proudly, "Sure did."

"Well, maybe I need some of my grandmothers famous cookies to get me though," I said, grinning from ear to ear.

He winked, and pointed at me Elvis style, "That a girl. We'll have to do that next next."

Then his smile faded, just like mine.

We both knew what was next.

He had to take me to Browns and then we'd never see each other again.

"Oh, right...yeah.."

The air grew cold and quiet.

Neither of us knew what to say.

After what felt like a year, Rhett finally spoke up, "Well, um, I guess we'd better get going. Isn't there a curfew there?"

I nodded sadly, "Yeah, 7:30." I glanced at my watch. An hour left of freedom. 

I've already been put in the orphanage, but I haven't actually stayed there for any long amount of time. And I dread the thought of it, but what must be, must be.

I stood after Rhett and followed the trail back to the truck.

"I'm sorry about this, Pride. Just so you know. I know it sucks and I'm not going to say I know what it feels like, because I don't. But, really, I am sorry."

He opened the truck door, it's loud nose erupted once more. I climbed in, buckled and starred out into the cemetery before me. 

It was still. It was cold. It was my grandmothers new home.

--

We made it to Saint Browns with ten minutes to spare. I had to direct Rhett to the orphanage, seeing as how he knew nothing about it.

"Well, we're here," he said, pulling into the shabby parking area.

I frowned, "Yay..." I said sarcastically.

He sighed, "Don't worry Pride. You won't be in there too long."

I felt my stomach twist with nervousness. I didn't want to go in there.

I didn't want to leave Rhett. 

Everything felt safer with him, secure. He was so nice to me and I appreciated his company today more than he would ever know.

"Go shine, kid," he said, placing his hand on my head and rubbing ever so messily. I looked at him and sighed, "Thanks Rhett. Really. Today was alright. It was as good as it could be, because of you."

He grinned cheekily, "I'm glad to have been of service."

Grabbing my bag, I pushed open the door of death and stepped out of the truck.

"Be safe," I said, smiling the best I could.

"Of course," he patted his seat belt.

"And you, don't worry alright. Time will fly by so quick, you'll be out of there this week."

I chuckled slightly, throwing my backpack over my shoulder.

"Thanks."

Without another word, Rhett gave me another wink and finger point as I was off.

I turned around to see the building I had to call home for the next few years.

Internally I began to scream, but physically I moved, walking in long strides to the door.

Home, Sweet, Home.

--------

Yay! I hope you guys are enjoying!

You're amazing!

Always remember to be your mythical best!

- Robin