I run out of paper and consider going out to ask Gran Rey for more. I don't really want to, but I have nothing else to do. I walk out and ask him for more paper. He hands me a bunch, then I thank him and go back to my room. That was easier than I anticipated.

***

I don't eat much at dinner because my stomach keeps reminding me how nervous I am. Winnie, Cour, Dig, Dorthene, and a few other people I can't remember the names of sit in a group. Dorthene can tell I'm nervous apparently. "It's going to be fine."

"But I don't know if Gran Rey will want me in the colony."

"If he believes you really don't remember who you were before, he'll let you join. Sentrus isn't exclusive; we're welcoming. You just got the bad end of the welcome because you... attacked."

"Yeah. But... What if he doesn't?"

She sighs. "It's fine. Don't worry too much about it. Have you thought about what kind of job you want?"

"A little. But I really don't know the variety. Gran Rey said he'd talk to me tonight about it, if I'm even allowed to join." I sigh.

"Well I want you to join the colony," Winnie says.

"Thanks."

"Me too," Dig agrees.

"Thank you."

"Your job should be digging holes with me." He smiles.

"Um... That doesn't seem interesting. And I thought everybody had to dig."

"Yeah. I'm the only one who does it permanently."

"So I'd have to eventually?"

"Probably."

"No thanks."

He glares at me. "I banish you from the colony."

Cour hits his shoulder. "You're so rude!" She turns to me. "You can be whoever you want, Elien. Sort of."

"I'll be the person who throws dirt back in the holes."

"Dig will get so mad at you," Dorthene tells me.

"He'll shove you in the hole," Winnie says. "That's what he almost did to me when I accidentally kicked a pile of dirt in the hole."

"On top of me," Dig adds.

I laugh, and it relieves some of the tension in my stomach. It feels good.

The tension returns when a loud alarm sounds. I recognize the sound from my first day. It's a colony meeting. My stomach hurts a lot now.

Everyone gathers around the platform Gran Rey is standing on. Dan, Gary, and Carey are standing behind him. Everyone is quiet after a minute, so Gran Rey starts to talk. "You all know Elien. She wants to join the colony now." He looks straight at me and gestures for me to come forward. My stomach lurches. Can't they just vote and get it over with? Why do I have to go up there with them, where everyone can see me?

I walk forward and step on a rock to get up. As I look out at everyone, I want to become invisible. All those eyes remember me as the person who attacked them. I don't know how many of them actually believe I don't remember anything. I don't know how many of them want to kill me.

"In order to join the colony, she needs a majority vote between the four of us. A tie goes against her. And if you have an objection, remember two-thirds of the colony has to vote to exile her."

"Kick her out!" someone shouts.

My stomach twists, and I want to become invisible again. A bunch of people shush the person, which makes me feel a little better.