30{i give you permission i guess}30

Ariel

"Guys! Dinner is ready!" Dad yelled from the kitchen. I placed my homework down on my bed and my pencil on top. I stood and walked out of my room, down to the kitchen.

Dad was helping Grace set the food up on the table. Otto went home when Geoff and I came home from school.

Geoff came walking down the stairs and pulled a chair out, sitting down. I watched as Dad and Grace put the last plates on the table. When they sat down, I pulled my chair out and sat down. I sat next to Dad and Grace and cutie mc fuckin cutie pants sat across from Dad and I. 

On the table was a bowl of salad, some macaroni and cheese, and bread sticks. Dad picked his plate up and scooped two spoonfuls of mac and cheese. Thank God there was a lot because everyone went for it. I waited for Grace and Geoff to get theirs, but Geoff didn't scoop after Grace.

He looked at me. "Go ahead, ladies first." He said, emphasizing 'first' and looking up at Dad.

Dad looked back at Geoff and whined. "What!? I'm hungry!" 

Geoff made a hand motion, pointing to the mac and cheese. I took the big spoon and scooped some onto my plate. I looked at Geoff and smiled at him. He smiled back. 

I took a little bit of salad and a bread stick. 

"So, how was the first day of school guys?" Dad asked. He took a bite of his macaroni. 

Geoff shrugged. "Eh, the same as it always is. Boring." 

Dad nodded and turned to me. "What about you?" I picked my legs up from the floor and crossed them over each other on the chair. 

"It was...fun, I guess. Um, we are working on a project already in history. I found out my history teacher listens to you guys, well his daughter. But he saw you guys play hometown show on warped. And my best friend from the adoption center goes there." I said, pushing my food around the plate. 

"Oh cool! Who is it?" Dad asked.

"Her name is Taylor. She was the one who got me into guitar and taught me how to play." I said. I picked up a few pieces of the salad and put my fork into my mouth. 

"You should ask her one day if she wants to sleep over." Dad said. I nodded. "So babe, how's your mom?" 

I unfolded my legs and let them drop to the floor again.

Grace finished chewing her food and covered her mouth. "She's doing a little better than two months ago. My brother and his girlfriend have been switching on and off, watching my mom." She paused and took a deep breath. "I haven't been home since y'all left, but I facetimed her a lot."

As Dad and Grace slipped into their own conversation, Geoff wrapped his legs around mine. He looked at me and I giggled, causing him to giggle also. 

We literally just looked at each other, and something about us doing that made us laugh. Grace scooted her chair back and Geoff and I looked up at her. She had her empty plate in one hand and her cell phone in the other. She disappeared into the kitchen.

Dad looked at Geoff and I. He didn't just look, he stared at us. He didn't say anything. It was silent and awkward. 

That is until he sighed. "What is up with you two?" He asked sounding tired, not sleepy tired, but like done, if that's the word I'm looking for. 

I raised my eyebrow. "What do you mean?" I asked, wiggling my legs out from Geoff's. 

"Why do you two keep going behind my back?" Dad asked, disappointed, a little whine coating his words.