chapter 25

I was handed a pale skinned baby, wrapped in a small pink blanket. Her eyes were blue and she had tiny golden locks. She sniffed and nuzzed into my chest. Her delicate litle hand wrapped round my finger and I welled up into tears.

" What are you going to name her?" The midwife said quietly.

I gazed at the baby. Puzzled. But then it came to me, a name that I knew would be perfect.

"Kia... I'll name her Kia."

The lady beamed, stroking back her black hair. " Lovely. Kia... That's a nice name!"

It was. I looked out the window, imagining the Kia 's body, an angel floating in the wind... her wings stretched out above the clouds. Her hair flowing and her eyes open wide looking out at the earth. And then I remembered Sam. I hope that she has found peace. Somewhere. Maybe she's still alive. But I didn't want to think about that right now. Just my baby.

I stroked Kia's hair and watched as she fell asleep into my arms. I kissed her forehead and leaned in her ears. "I'll still keep my promise. We'll leave somewhere nice. I promise."

Two days passed until I was allowed to leave the hospital. Holding Kia in my arms, I knew that life could only get better from here.

I looked up into the sun and walked through the streets. No more Leon, Mr Darwin or any of the bad things that happened before then. I was going to move to the country side and live my life out with Kia. When I got home, I left a note for mum. I packed my bags and stuffed clothes for Kia and me. I took a bit of cash I had from my birthdays and left the rest to mum.  

I caught a train to Scotland. The sun shone on the window and warmed me up. Kia lay silenlty in my arms. This was my life. It had only just begun.

End.