chapter twelve

'I am tired of waiting,

Aren't you,

For the world to become good

And beautiful and kind?"

Langston Hughes

↠ ↠ ↠

Gasping, she pushed him away, almost falling back down into the van if it weren't for him pulling her back up. Once safely on the ground, she staggered away, making sure not to fall into the van but eyeing the grounder warily. He'd saved her and the last time they'd met, she'd been chill but she had also been drunk. This time around, he seemed much scarier. Maybe it was the fact that he was wearing a hood and a face mask or the fact that his eyes were so dark and there was paint around the parts she could see but it was weird.

"Oh my god," she breathed, resting her hand against her heart, "Oh my god, you scared the life out of me."

"Skai-snacha," he spoke, eyeing her warily. Unlike the last times, he seemed reluctant as though he didn't want to be here this time.

"Grounder," she replied, "Who are you?"

He didn't reply.

"Well can you take either the hood or the mask off? It's kind of freaking me out that all I can see is your eyes," she admitted.

The grounder hesitated but he eventually complied, pulling the hood down first. A mess of black hair flopped out of it, going all different ways. She expected him to stop there but he didn't, slowly pulling the mask down too. Olivia had been right about the paint, it was in a line over his eyes - a dark navy colour. The rest of his skin was a tan colour, his features surprisingly soft. Somehow, they made him seem less intimidating - I guess I didn't expect him to have a baby face.

"Osir don hon yu lukot," he said, watching her carefully.

"What?" she furrowed her eyebrows, "Do you speak English?"

She was followed with silence though the way his jaw clenched spoke volumes.

"You do, don't you?" she smirked, feeling somehow victorious though she wasn't sure if she was right. This was just a guess but she was hoping he wouldn't catch her bluff.

Sighing, he spoke, "Your friend." It was weird hearing him speak in English - as though his voice had completely transformed into another one. "We found her. My friend took her back to his hideout," he said, "Told me to come and get you."

Olivia's eyes widened as she realised that he was referring to Octavia. "Is she okay?" she gasped, taking a few steps closer to him. The fear she'd felt earlier had vanished and she was starting to feel more comfortable in his presence.

"She had a wound in her leg," he told her, his voice blunt, "But Lincoln is healing her."

"Lincoln?" Olivia questioned, "Is that your friend's name? What's yours?" The grounder's face darkened and he eyed her cautiously, obviously feeling as though he'd said too much. She wondered why though as it was them who'd attacked Jasper. Maybe he was crossing a boundary but it was still mostly unprovoked. Not to mention, this grounder had been so nice - if you wanted to call it that - before so she couldn't help but to wonder where the caution was coming from. "You knew that I couldn't speak your language so why did you tell me in that first?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"We're not meant to interact with you," he said, "Especially speak with you in your tongue."

"But you saved me?"