chapter ten

'The world changes too fast.

You take your eyes off something that's always been there,

and then the next minute

it's just a memory.'

Michel Faber

↠ ↠ ↠

After a while of debate, Olivia decided it was best to wait for Bellamy; she wouldn't have usually but it was so dark out that she could barely see and apart from how to punch, she had no idea how to really defend herself. Taking a breath, she rested her back against the tree, her eyes flitting about nervously. Her mind raced for a solution, wishing that Bellamy had waited long enough for them to grab a torch - unfortunately he hadn't so she had to deal with what she had.

Her breath halted as she heard rustling from nearby, quickly followed by the sound of Murphy and his gang - all shouting and yelling for Charlotte to reveal herself. Looking around, she crouched in between the tree and a bush, waiting for the light of their torches and their noise to vanish. Once she thought they were gone, she rose slowly, stepping forward without realising that she'd misjudged it.

One of them must have turned around last minute as they spotted her, shouting to Murphy to let him know that they'd seen her. Eyes wide, she turned, running through the trees as some guys followed her. She could hear their steps close behind her so she speeded up, not minding where she was going as she raced away. Eventually the sound of steps behind her disappeared as they must have lost interest, realising that Charlotte wasn't with her. When she finally slowed down though, she realised that she'd ran into an area of her map that was a no go - panther territory.

Gulping, she looked around cautiously, trying to move as quietly as possible. That didn't seem to work however as she heard a growling coming from the trees. Looking up, her eyes caught on another pair - the body blended into the environment but she could see the bright green watching her hungrily. Her heart was beating rapidly as she backed away slowly, her back hitting a tree trunk and giving her no place else to go. The muscles in the panther's legs twitched and it leaped from the tree, pouncing towards her. Flinching, she closed her eyes tightly in fear, ready to die.

There was a whooshing sound from the tree above her however, a splash of liquid on her face and then a thud as something landed in front of her. Gasping she opened her eyes, finding that the panther was lying dead in front of her, an arrow lodged in its head. Her breathing was heavy as she stepped from the tree, looking up at the branch above her to find the source of the arrow. As she had suspected, it was the grounder she'd seen before in the trees. Standing such a close distance, she was able to make out that his eyes were brown, watching her silently.

Why had he saved her? Shaking from the shock and adrenaline, she stuttered a quiet, "Th-thank you."

The grounder said nothing, only turning and jumping from the branch to one across from it. She watched him disappear into the darkness, terrified of everything that had just occurred. Knowing that she couldn't hang around there much longer though - she just been attacked by a panther and though the grounder had saved her, he was still a grounder - she turned back in the direction she'd come from, heading as quickly to camp as she could.

"Olivia!"

Olivia paused as she heard her name called and saw the flame of torch light just in front of her. The relief that flowed through her was crazy as her eyes landed on Bellamy and Clarke, pushing through the branches. They both halted as their eyes landed on her, relief also covering their faces. Bellamy walked over to her quickly, surprising her by pulling her into a hug. She froze, not sure what to do but knowing that her heart was still racing from the previous events and now this. She knew that she probably looked like she'd seen a ghost.