Socialising

Jake

The hot droplets of water bathed my skin in warmth and comfort. It was relief from the absolute pain of the run earlier, which we later learned was nearly 20km. This was much further than I had ever run before, and so part of me was proud about my achievement, especially beating everyone else. However, Theo had been so close to overtaking me at the last moment, so I need to watch out in the future.

I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss. I didn't really have much experience with girls, so this came as a complete and utter shock to me. I barely knew Hayley, and so thinking about it, she must be a bit forward to do something such as this. Nevertheless, it was a happy moment and I hope that we can continue this 'relationship.'

"30 more seconds!" Capstick barked outside the door. The time had passed so quickly, but I had finished cleaning and was all done. Now all the others would have to have a shower with icy cold water. Of course I felt sorry for them, but there was no way Sharma, let alone Capstick would have changes their minds.

I walked back to our hut, number 4. Hut 6 had been used today for instructions, but hut 4 had a little more insulation as well as some steel-framed beds that we would be sleeping in for the next 99 sleeps. They were stiff and uncomfortable, but it was better than camping out on a lilo and sleeping bag. The duvets were relatively thin, but I was all warm form the shower. The others wouldn't be, so I can imagine sleeping tonight will be very uncomfortable for them. It was nearing 8pm, and lights out were at 9pm. 

It didn't take long for everyone to get out of the showers. One by one, my fellow recruits tip-toed out into the hall, shivering as they went. The hut wasn't very big, with the boys beds on one side and the girls on the other side. There was almost no privacy, but these harsh conditions were needed to keep the basic training as tough and miserable as possible. Over the 100 day period, we were allowed no personal belongings, so my book was on my bedside table gathering dust. This was particularly depressing as it would seem for the next hour I had nothing to do. To pass the time, I sat in bed and tried to gauge the competition. As much as we all wanted to pass, I could tell the system was very competitive and anyone caught helping another out too much would inevitably be punished. However, I do not regret giving my t-shirt to Hayley.

The first to come out after me was Theo Sharma. Unlike his oldest brother Ryan, Theo wasn't stocky but instead was quite thin, and about average height. He had brown hair, blue eyes and a sparse patch of freckles on the middle of his face. He had quite a lot of leg muscle, but his upper body strength was certainly not as developed. Nevertheless, his abundance of previous training means his fighting techniques will inevitably be superior to mine.

Second to him was the fist unnamed girl. up until this point she was one of three recruits I couldn't name, but the small packs attached to the bed frame had our full names printed on them. Her's read: Masie Whitlock. I hadn't heard it around campus before, but this was no surprise because I had only been her around 20 days. Her friend came out next. Where Masie was a average height and quite stock with a large waist, her friend was at least four inches taller and very thin. She also had a Eastern European accent, that of Bulgarian. With very dark hair and chestnut eye, this contrasted with Masie's strawberry blond hair and green eyes. 

Soon after these two came Blake and Scotty. Blake was about my height, but Scotty was around 5ft. 10 already. He had hair the colour of sand, as did Blake. Both of them had quite plain faces, making Scotty's height very unusual as he looks about two years younger than he actually is. Scotty was also quite lanky due to his height, but him and Blake were easily the strongest two on basic training. This would give them an advantage in activities such as swimming or lifting but naturally this increase in weight would hinder them in the running challenges.

The penultimate person to enter the hall was Hayley. She was average height, with noticeably good looks and a bold blue eye colour. Her auburn hair shone in the dim light as she walked to her bunk. She set her things down, and approached me. She handed my shirt back. 

"Thank you so much Jake," she said appreciatively, "I don't know if I could have passed without your act of kindness. "What do you say to being friends?"

I was stunned. I had had a pretty dull life up until now, and here I was making friends almost instantly. "I like that idea." I said as she smiled and walked back to her bunk.

There was just one last person to enter the hall. It was the boy who had given up half way through the run due to his ambitious pace at the start. After about 10 minutes he stumbled in, flanked by Capstick and Sharma, clutching a sick bucket as he went. He slumped down on his bed, the bucket rolling at the side of his bunk. Sharma and Capstick began conferring in the corner. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but they didn't seem impressed by the boys actions.

"Right you lot, lights out in half an hour. Use this time to - I dunno - socialise?" At that, Capstick and Sharma exited the hut and shut the steel door behind them.