God

Written on 12 February 2017

I looked around me, utterly confused.
Where was I? What is this place?
There is fire everywhere around me. I hear screams strained with emotion. I look up to where the sky should be but I see nothing. It's pitch black. I'm in a cave.
"Where am I?" I ask out loud as if I expect someone to answer me.
That's when I realized... The fire, the screams, the darkness... I knew what this place was. This is what religion talked about, what man feared... "I am in hell." I murmur.
"That's right" a deep voice says.
I scream in terror.
"Who are you?" I ask, trying not to sound too terrified.
"You know who I am."
I did know. He was the supreme spirit of evil, ruler of Hell, and foe of God; "The devil."
I become mad.
"What did I ever do to deserve this?" I scream.
"I've never committed a single sin! What on earth did I do to make God hate me. WHY DOES HE HATE ME?"
"Silly child." He laughs. "What did you expect, then?"
"I don't know, I never thought about any of this. I didn't believe any of this.
I just don't get it. Most of the people were convinced that there was a God but no Devil. You pulled a great trick on convincing the world you don't exist, though there is only evil in the world left. You made it seem like the people committed those sins."

The devil's low chuckle echoed off the walls.

"No, the only trick I ever pulled was convincing the world that there is an alternative."
"There is no God?" I stuttered.
"Well," the devil replied. "A long time ago, God and the Devil could get along just fine. But I guess evil was just stronger..." He pauses and laughs. "The good died."

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? EVEN YOU WERE ONCE AN ANGEL!" I scream.

The devil roared with laughter.
"You fool!" He screamed.
"I am God."