Chapter Twenty

Miranda and George

Miranda could feel her heart race as she walked out of the elevator and into the office hallway. It's been five years since she last saw George Alastair. And to say the truth she wasn't looking forward to it.

She approached the secretary by the grey desk. A pretty blonde with blue eyes. She didn't miss the evil eye she got as she made her way to the desk. But that was the least of her problems.

"I have an appointment with Mr. Alastair," she said too nervous for pleasantries.

"And you are?"

"Miranda?!"

She turned at the voice. A man stood at the other end of the hallway. Miranda froze as he studied him. It's been so long. This man was the only reason she'd made it this far. The one who gave her enough strength to move forward after she thought she was too broken. And the one who'd made it easier to take this job at the prospect of seeing him again. His dark hair shone and at 6'2 he towered over most people well except his brother.

Their eyes met and a grin lit his face, his grey eyes shining.

"Come here little sis?"

She didn't need anymore encouragement. Miranda knew it was a place of work but she didn't care. To hell with professionalism.

"Gabriel!" She cried running into the man's arms. The embrace was welcomed and she sighed happily as the man's arms locked around her. Pulling her closer to the hard body.

"Shhhh!... Don't cry!" Gabriel said running his fingers through her hair. She hadn't even known that she'd been crying. She quickly pulled away rubbing at her eyes.

"It's okay Miranda. I'm a little emotional too," he said grabbing onto her arms. "Now wipe those tears. We don't want my brother seeing you like this. All teary and red faced."

She chuckled slightly taking deep breaths. He was right about that. She didn't want Gabriel to see her like that. She smiled up at the man. Still amazed at seeing him again.

"I'm sorry I left."

"Hey don't worry. I understand why you had to. What I don't understand is why you didn't call, and why so long?" He said with a frown.

Miranda flinched as her face colored. She looked away, ashamed. "I was so busy I forgot. And then when I could I thought it had been too long. You'd be mad and I'd ended things with your brother, I couldn't call him... I'm sorry," she gushed hurriedly.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I forgive you. Just...just, don't do it again," he grinned at her and she felt her heart warm. She'd really missed him, and couldn't believe he'd forgive her that easily. She'll do all she can to make it up to him.

"Let's go before George comes looking for us," he steered her to the door.

Miranda's eyes widened as she stared at the large glass door. She took in a deep breath, and with a smile from Gabriel nodded her head. He walked in before her opening the door for her.

"Look who I ran into big bro," she walked through the open doorway. Blood rushed through her ears and her heart pounded as she stared at the man across from them on the other side of the large mahogany desk.

"George," his name was a whisper on her lips.

The one and only man who possessed her heart.

...

"It's dark my dear, we should get back inside," Miranda said standing to leave.

Neil looked on dumbfounded. Was the woman serious. She was going to leave him like that.

"Wait, you just can't-"

"I'm sorry dear, but at my age doesn't allow me the luxury to stay up as I used to," she said with a gentle smile. Neil felt ashamed for what he'd thought. It was late and he should escort her inside.

"Of course ma'am, I'm sorry. Let me escort you inside," he hooked her arm through his as they walked back inside. Although disappointed, he had to wait.

Oh shucks!