Chapter Nineteen

Neil watched the buildings outside as they drove to the Alastair castle. Jaxton was driving them. He'd slept over...in the guest room of course. He was glad that the other man had agreed on being friends. He can't deny that he's attracted to the billionaire. It's just that this is new to him. He would have tried the first time but he's not sure he could go through what he did before. Jaxton's words had taken him back to a time he'd strived to forget.

He was ambushed by little arms as soon as he got out of the car. He couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him. It might have only been a a day but he'd really missed the little guy.

"Hi Brandon," he lifted him into his arms.

"Uncle Neil... I tried finding you this morning and I couldn't find you anywhere. You won't leave again right?"

Oh shucks! How could he have forgotten to say goodbye to the little guy.

"Not now but if I do I'll make sure to call and visit,"

"Okay," he said with a smile before scrambling out of his arms and into the house.

"I'm sorry."

Neil turned to the man beside him. He could see the sincerity in the man's eyes.

"And I forgive you. Just don't let it happen again," he answered with a smile as he entered the house. The house was more packed than he remembered.

"Since the wedding is still on -with the slight change in the groom. Wes' family is here too," Jaxton explained.

"Oh."

"Neil,"

He turned to the voice just in time to be crushed into a hug. Miranda. Hugging her always felt nice. Like home.

"Hello Miranda," he returned the hug before letting go.

"It's nice having you back. And call your friends, their rooms are still available."

"Are you sure..."

"Yes, of course I'm sure. And you can stay too. You are aren't you?"

"Um... I didn't carry anything."

"Don't worry child, just tell your friend Matt to pack something for you while you tell them to come over," she said leading him to the living room.

......

The rest of the afternoon was spent catching up and knowing the rest of the guests. He'd even been told of how Jaxton had come out. The man was lucky to have such an accepting family. Most people aren't as lucky.

He also met Wes. He was a charming man and he could see that he really did love Andrea. And he could say the same for Andrea. She was almost glowing with happiness at the prospect of becoming the man's wife. All we hoped is for her to not get cold feet again.

Ally and Matt said they'd arrive in the evening in time for dinner. He couldn't wait for them to get there. It's not that everyone wasn't welcoming but he felt a little out of his element. He would like people he was used to. Everyone here was family. He needed his family too.

He was out by the garden since it was quiet. But that wasn't his only reason, Miranda had a beautiful garden. It was serene how many types of flowers she had. It was simply beautiful.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

He jumped startled as Miranda took the seat beside him.

"Yeah, I've never been surrounded with all this green."

"I love it here, it's calming," she said with a sigh.

A companiable silence followed and Neil was okay with it.

"I'm sorry about my son," she finally said. He'd known it was coming. He just tried to avoid it.

"It's okay. Jaxton and I worked things out."

"Really, so you're giving him a second chance?" She asked with a smile and Neil felt bad for what he was about to do...to tell her. He looked away.

"Um...not exactly,"

"Oh...it's just that...I thought..."

"I like him Miranda. It's just that what he said took me back to a place I'd like to forget. We'll just start slow. As friends...so I can trust him not to say things like that again." He did not know why he said all that. Miranda made him too comfortable.

"It's okay honey, I get it. Believe it or not I went through a few patches with George before we got married."

"I don't believe it, you two are like everyone's dream in a relationship."

"Well it wasn't always like that," she said with a smile, "we almost didn't work out."