Chapter VII

═════════════════
A U T H O R S
N O T E
═════════════════
guys, thank you so much for over 600 reads!! I'm actually nearly at 700, so that's so amazing! thank you to everyone who reads and votes

═════════════════
C H A P T E R
S E V E N
═════════════════

Rileys POV

I SIGH AS I put my phone down on the counter in Java Junction. Twelve texts to James today — and no replies. I feel so bad... I never meant to hurt him like this... but I did. And it's all my fault, i caused this pain. And I'm probably the reason he quit The Next Step, too.

Yesterday after dance I went round to his place again. Just as I was about to knock, I could here his frantic voice on the other side of the door.

"I can't believe this." He was panicking.

"James, it'll be fine," Pipers voice said. "You'll get another job—"

"No, I won't!" James half yelled. "I've looked everywhere, Pipes, it's no good. No one else will hire me, with the fact I've almost been arrested, and that I have a four year old at age nineteen. That supermarket was a once in a lifetime thing, I'm starting to think."

Wow... I'd never heard him so worked up before. Could he really have lost his job? That was how he made, like, every penny, giving Starbucks don't pay much when you only work weekend shifts. He'll be broke...

God. That makes me feel so much better. (Note the heavy sarcasm). Now I feel so much worse.

To add to that, I saw Hazel yesterday. I didn't think I would feel bad seeing her, but I had this gut wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach, like a mix of guilt and pity.

Her dark hair was done in two braids and she was wearing a Spider-Man t-shirt, with those jeans that have stars printed on them. She was sitting with Piper, in Java Junction, and was smiling and talking and laughing like any normal three year old.

Or is she four? I think she's four...

I don't know, but it made me feel like I'm responsible for everything that's happened to her, or more, everything that's going to happen to her.

With James losing his job it's not going to be easy for her... and I still feel like I need to help or do something.

"Hey, um?" I hear someone say. I turn my head to see a boy, about my age, with thick dark hair and brown eyes. "Are you in A-Troupe?"

"Yeah," I say, slightly confused. "I am."

"Oh thank god," he seems to breathe out a sigh of relief. "I'm gonna be auditioning for a spot on A-Troupe..." he tells me. I get that gut wrenching feeling again. The auditions for James's spot are already happening?

"But I'm kind of lost," the boy admits. He seems really shy, but it's cute. "Can you show me where I'm meant to be?"

I smile. "Sure," I say. "Follow me."

I grab my phone and get up, starting to walk towards the studio. The boy follows. It's only when I'm standing I realise we're basically the same height.

"I'm Riley, by the way," I say to him.

"I'm Alfie," he says. "Nice to meet you."