Chapter 25: Fall Gathering

Start from the beginning

Julie gasped as she walked inside. The place was lit by hundreds of lanterns strung between the trees and hanging from the ceiling. The whole place had a soft, yellow light. She sighed. It was beautiful and romantic. She was screwed.

She had been trying to ignore and avoid them both for months. Yet, tonight, surrounded by all of this, she wished that she had someone on her arm. Even if that made her weak.

She'd allowed Rory in once, and she bitterly regretted trusting him. She wasn't about to let either of them in and distract her from her goal of leaving this place and becoming a dancer.

But as she looked around here, she wondered if she was being too stubborn. Was that a Fey trait? They did seem to hold onto things for a long time. She guessed if you lived as long as the Fey did, it was reasonable to take your time deciding on things.

Should she give Rory another chance? Or give Luke a chance? Or did she want to forgive them, knowing that she might end up falling for one of them and possibly giving up her dream, because she was getting tired of fighting off her feelings?

Julie stopped when her parents did. She looked around to ask Jamie something, but he was already gone. Did he sneak off to meet his date? Who was she?

She spun around looking for him, and stopped as she met Luke's deep blue eyes.

"You look beautiful." He looked her up and down. "Do you want to dance?"

He held out his hand. Julie looked at it like it was a snake. Oh god, what if she couldn't control herself once she touched his hand. Her eyes darted to his, and he seemed to be smirking at her. What if he read her feelings?

"Uhh..." she started.

"Julie, just dance with the boy. It's not like he is proposing marriage to you or anything." Her mom pushed her toward Luke.

She put her hand out, closing her eyes as her fingers made contact with his. A shiver went up her spine, and it was a second before he tugged her toward the dance floor. Julie focused on the lanterns, the flowers, and everything else around her except the boy holding her hand.

"You can open your eyes," Luke said after they started moving. She cracked an eye open. She could barely breath, and her face had to be beat red. "I'm not trying to read you right now." She raised an eyebrow at him. "Really, plus you can block it some if you learn how."

"I can?" She smiled.

"Don't sound too happy. I might wonder what you're trying to hide." He grinned at her, and she pulled her gaze from his. She would blush, but her face was probably already so red there wasn't any way to make it worse.

He let his arm slid up along her waist, pulling her in a little closer. She swayed into him, her stomach fluttering.

Julie let out a whisper. "Why all the sudden contact?"

He had to know what he was doing to her. After all those months of teasing her, this was overwhelming.

Luke smirked. "Well, I'm not your teacher anymore. You pretty much have everything down now that I can help you with. The rest is on your own."

"What? Why didn't you say anything?" She pulled back so she could see his face.

"I like spending time with you." He smiled at her. "Even if we are only talking."

Her heart melted a little. She gulped, wishing she could run away, but it would look stupid and obvious if she ran away from the middle of the dance floor.

He pulled her closer again as if sensing she was about to flee. "Julie, I like you so much. Not because of this connection. I like you. You're funny, and I love how committed you are to your dancing. That dedication to something outside yourself makes you so unique compared to everyone else around here, who is all about the Fey. I get that. I don't want to live my life revolving around what I am either, but what I do."