1: Zayden and Mystery Guy

My alarm wakes me up in the morning for school. No, it does not have one of those annoying ringing noises. It plays Magnify by We Are Messengers. I turn my alarm off and walk into my bathroom. After I take my retainers out, I go downstairs and fix a bowl of cereal. I finish my cereal and go back upstairs. I change into sweatpants and a t-shirt, then finish getting ready. I throw my light brown hair into a ponytail and run downstairs. I see the bus drive by my house, not even slowing down to see if I was coming.

Looks like I am walking to school. Did I mention that it is raining cats and dogs?

When I finally get to school I am surprisingly just in time for the first bell to ring. I walk upstairs to my locker and put in the combination.

"Oh, look. The nerd is going to be late for class." A voice says.

And? You have been late to class one out of three days the whole year.

He slams my locker shut. "I am so sorry, it was an accident," he snickers along with his other friends.

I sigh and put in my combination again. I put my bag in my locker and notice that the jock clique left. I look at the paper I put up in my locker at the beginning of the year.

It's just a bad DAY, not a bad LIFE.

•+•

Lunch is my favorite and worst time of the day.

I shut my locker and start walking down the hall to the staircase. Loud, fast-paced footsteps follow me.

"Hey, what do you have in here?" One of them ask and takes my lunchbox. He starts taking food out and giving it to the other jocks.

"Give her, her lunch back," a deep voice commands.

"Oh, yeah? And who are you?" Jason asks. Jason is the 'leader' of the jocks and is mainly the one who bullies me.

"He is just a nobody," Dyllan, which is his 'sidekick', answers.

"You want to fight me, wimp?" Jason asks.

"No. I want to do to the right thing," the voice says.

No one has ever stood up for me. He probably just got dared to.

"Jason, you better not fight him. If you do, you might get kicked off the team." Dyllan tells him.

Jason stands there for a few moments. "It will be worse tomorrow," he whispers to me and throws my lunchbox down the hallway.

I would roll my eyes at you, but I would rather not have my eyes get stuck there.

I turn around and start walking towards my lunchbox after the jocks are out of sight. Mystery boy beat me to it though. I thought he would grab it and take off, but he did the opposite. He handed it to me. I could not tell what he looked like because of the hoodie he had on. The hood masked his face. I accepted his kindness and took my lunchbox. As soon as it left his grasp, he took off in the opposite direction.

I entered the cafeteria and went to my usual spot. A certain dark brown headed girl stares at me as I walked closer.

"Spill," she commands when I sit down.

"They took my lunchbox and some of my food," I shrug. "And someone stood up for me."

"So, the -. Wait, what?!" She says.

"A person stood up for me and made them give me my lunchbox."

"Do you know who?"

"No. I think it was a guy though."

"Ooh, was he cute?"

"I don't know. I couldn't see his face. He was wearing a hoodie."

Reagan nods her head and sips on her sweet tea. I quietly eat my sandwich, which was the only thing left in my lunchbox.

"Do you have a piece of gum?" I ask Reagan.

She looks up at me through her long eyelashes and shakes her head.

"Lillian West?" A booming voice calls out.

I stand up and find the man who called my name. "Yes?"

"You are needed in the office."

"Yes, sir." I reply and rush to the office once I grab my lunchbox. I walk in the office and see a guy sitting on the bench.

"Hi, Lillian. We have a new student. Will you show him around?" The vice principal asks me.

"Sure," I smile. She smiles back and went to her office. I turned around and the boy on the bench, stood up.

"Hi, my name is Zayden."

Dang. He is cute.

"Welcome to jail. Oops, I mean school." I smile and he chuckles.