Leela slowly approached her mother and gave her a hug. Her mother instantly smiled at her.

Sarawati Devi did not like that Leela went out alone during nights towards the border. She feared for her safety as there was ongoing feud with the neighboring village.

It was a century’s old dispute which let to wars for many years between Jadeja rulers and small group of rebels from Kathiawar tribe but now due to government and police intervention there has not been a war for many years. Instead of war now there were other troubles like kidnapping, extortion and murders. There have been unpleasant incidents on both the sides for warring communities.

Leela mother said little annoyed “Leela, how many times I tell you not to go out alone in the dark, that too near the border where those Jadeja’s can easily target you?”

“Ba, you are worrying unnecessarily those cowards will not dare come near our village, even if they do, you know very well I am more than capable of taking care of myself. After all baba has bought me a gun for my safety.” Leela said calmly.

Saraswati Devi replied irritated “Like father like daughter, I do not understand your father even. What kind of man thinks of getting his daughter a gun for her 16th birthday?”

 “The best kind Ba! The best kind” Leela replied with a huge smile. Her mother gave up and hugged her back as she knew trying to control her was impossible.

Leela walked towards her brothers who were enjoying themselves looking at this everyday mother daughter’s argument.

She unlatched a small hand gun from her waist and held it in front of her brother Rana pouting, “Bhai, I think the lock is jammed I am not able to fire it. We were trying to shoot at the raw mangoes today from neighboring farm and it did not work?”

Rana frowned and took the gun from her “Leela we have a 400acres of farming land having all kind of fruits still why do you need to steal mangoes from neighboring farm? This gun was given for your protection not to play around”. Leela just struck her tongue out at him and walked away.

Leela’s brother Rana, was the youngest among the three brothers at 25years he was standing tall at 6 1’ with rippling muscles and hard chiseled feature he was a very handsome guy. He also had as Leela dimpled cheeks which made all the local girls fall hard for him.

Just then Durga Kathiawar pushed open the main door and entered. All the chattered and laughter grew silent instantly.

Leela’s father was very tall person at 6 2’ with broad shoulders and strong pillar like thighs. He was dressed in traditional white chorno and kediyu with red turban on his head. He used to be a wrestler during his times and had even got a small scar on his right brow which added an edge to his personality.

He was well respected person in his community and head of local village governance. Small disputes were resolved by him that arose with the village.

His hard intimidating eyes surveyed the scene in front of him and grew soft as soon as he saw his lovely daughter; a small smile appeared on his lips. Though he had three sons he was very fond of his only daughter which was a big thing, as even now in remote villages in India sons are given preference over daughters.

He came and sat beside his wife “As you are all aware I had been to meeting with cultural minister for the upcoming utsav” He said looking towards his sons, “I have promised Police chief to have a peaceful utsav unlike last year and expect everyone in the house to follow the same”.

“But baba last year it was those Jadejawalla’s mistake. We did not set the fire at the fair and left the wild bull in Market Street.” Rana said smirking.

Durga frowned “I do not care whose mistake it was I made a promise and intent to keep it. I do not want any more problems with the authorities. With the upcoming elections I have a clean image to keep up. Hope you all just remember that”. Rana just rolled his eyes.

Everyone started chatting exciting about the utsav again. It was the “Rann Utsav” which was held once every year. It is the celebration of the art, craft, music, dance, people and nature. During the full moon night of the winters amid the awe-inspiring and contrasting landscape each year a three day festive extravaganza brimming with hospitality, vigor and traditional flavor of the area is hosted and known as the Kutch or RannMahotsav. This attracts thousands of tourists each year and also one time of the year when crime rate will be lowest in the region.

The biggest attraction of Rann Utsav is the camel race and Durga’s camel was winning the race from past three years.

Comments and Votes Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming up next “Rann Utsav”

Picture of Rann of Kutch in moon light on the side------------------------------------>

Author’s Note:

Ba/Maa: Mother

Baba: Father

Bena: Sister

Bhai: Brother

Bhabhi :Sister - In - Law

Chaniyo: traditional Gujarati dress with long ankle length bright colour petticoat’s with work of glass piece on it.

Choli: Blouse

Bindi: A small decoration on forehead

Chunri: wide cloth draped around upper part of body for modesty.

Chorno: kurta worn as slacks

Kediyu: Short shirt like made of cotton

Social Message: Fight Female Foeticide

Over three crore unborn girls have been killed in India since independence. The ratio of live female births in India as compared to the number of live male births was an alarming 908 to 1,000. However, individuals and organizations across the country have been fighting this inhuman practice. In 1994, the Parliament enacted the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act to stop female foeticide and arrest the declining sex ratio at birth in India. In India it’s a crime to determine the sex of a child before the birth for this very reason.

Source: http://www.satyamevjayate.in/female-foeticide/femalefoeticide.aspx