Stranger

Chapter 6

'Turn around and fix your eye in my direction,

So there is a connection,

I can't speak,

I can't make a sound to somehow capture your attention,

I'm staring at perfection,

Take a look at me so you can see,

How beautiful you are'

The shower was beating hot against Romans back. The rush of water loud and deafening in his ears. He knew Peter was steps away, he could feel his presence. But more than that, he could feel Peter's gaze fall on him upon occasion, the weight of each casual glance seemed to press down on Roman, forcing his breaths to become spare. Roman was sure that his eyes could not pierce through the vinyl curtain, but he felt as if Peter himself could accomplish anything, if willed himself enough to do so.

Roman had never been shy, in fact, he had sometimes been called prideful. He knew his own worth, his own beauty. He was self aware, and if there is pride in not being ignorant to ones own self, then so be it. And yet, he could not bring himself to leave the safety of the hot shower. He was scared.

Fear. Fear was not something Roman was accustomed to. But this fear was not towards Peter, rather himself, his own feelings and inner conflicts. Peter chased him down. Held his hand. Kissed him. And what did Roman do? He dragged him into the shower with him, what message is that sending? But here he was, here they were. And that left Roman with decisions to make, because some part of him wanted to experience Peter's friendship, and perhaps more than friendship.

The heat of the shower was quickly cooling, and Roman knew that soon the unbearable warmth of the shower would become an even more unbearable cold. He made his decision. He would be himself. Not shy. Not scared.

Roman grasped the nozzle of the shower head and slowly turned it to the off position. It groaned against his hand and made defiant sounds to be left alone. But when the water had stopped flowing, and the nozzle had stopped it's groaning, the room was quiet, except for Romans humming. He hadn't even realized that he had been doing it. He stopped abruptly and listened intently, but heard nothing, seemingly no sign of Peter.

Roman had left his towel on the bench outside of the shower, and he felt foolish for doing so. Still, he had made a decision, and no woman or man could make Roman anything other than himself. He pushed back the curtain and walked out, keeping his stare fixed forward, directly at his towel. He felt the cold air cling to his wet skin, he could feel the wet and matted hair of his pubis, but more than that, he felt the crushing weight of Peter's gaze. He felt exposed.

"Well, if it isn't our resident nudist", Roman heard Peter say from behind him.

Roman continued forward until he reached his towel. He picked it up and hurriedly dried off his arms and chest, all the while keeping his back to Peter. He bent to dry his legs and other bits, then he proceeded to dry his hair. He pulled on boxer briefs that had been in the bag next to his towel, and finally he turned around.

"What time is it?", he asked the other boy.

Peter looked at his watch, "It's ten to seven", he announced. His face looked a bit anxious.

"Olivia is going to kill me", Roman said, as he pulled his pants on.

He watched Peter bend to pick up the clothes he had thrown earlier, and he walked towards Roman. He dropped the clothes into the bag after picking out Romans clean shirt. He held the shirt in his hand and looked into Romans eyes.