Beasts Inside

Chapter 4

'All of your flaws and all of my flaws,
When they have been exhumed,
We'll see that we need them to be who we are,
Without them we'd be doomed'

Peter regarded Roman. He was excited to stretch his legs and have a challenge. But his cockiness was overruled by his eagerness. Eagerness to show off, eagerness to ride in Romans Jag, and his eagerness to befriend Roman. Peter had always felt alone, even in a crowded room. It wasn't necessarily his fault, or anyone else's for that matter. It was just the way it was. Teenagers spend so much time acting mature and not being themselves, that when one actually is mature and when one is completely himself, they find him strange. But Peter knew who he was, he knew he was good and handsome and caring, these weren't thoughts of vanity, but rather simple truths that he was raised to believe and practice.

Peter felt like Roman was the same way. Not just acting, but being. And where Peter was generally happy, Romans default expression seemed to be a sour one. During their entire exchange Peter couldn't recall Roman actually smiling, though his face seemed to soften after Peter's remark about his car. A crack in his hardened exterior? Still though, there was something that you had to respect about a boy, scratch that, man who knew who he was, what he wanted, and in Romans case, what he hated.

From Peter's vantage point, straddling the thick, fallen tree, he could see the entirety of Romans profile. His sharp cheek bones. His pale pallor, not sickly, but natural. His build was average, he had broad shoulders and a tapering waist. Peter could see Romans legs, at least the parts that weren't covered by his shorts. He had long legs, they were muscled and lean and had only the faintest showings of blonde hairs. He was a statue carved by hand, painstakingly, he was marble in the flesh. He was David's brother, and Michelangelo's son. And just like when Michelangelo unveiled David in a city square of Florence, with David's eyes turned to glare in the direction of their rival state Rome, so did Roman turn that glare upon anyone daring to get too close. Peter dared.

"So", he said beginning to stand. "What do I get when I win?", he felt cheeky asking, but he was curious as to what Roman would say.

Roman followed suit, standing and dusting his butt of bark. He chuckled, and what is that?! A smile!

"Well, if, and I use the word if sparingly, you win you'll get to ride in my car, instead of walking through the woods", Roman answered.

"But, as I said before, I enjoy the woods, and really I'm not far from home now, so what incentive do I have?", Peter asked as he stretched, bending backwards and then forwards, looking into Romans eyes the entire time. His smile faded quickly and was replaced by that familiar glare.

"Look. If you'd rather go through the woods, then go. I'm out anyways", Roman said. And this time it was him that turned to leave. He must have meant it too, because he was at a full run before Peter even had a chance to say something.

Game on.

Peter darted off after Roman, following him and closing the distance between them. Roman looked back, smiled, and his legs went twice as fast as they had been before. But Peter wasn't far behind him. They jumped over fallen trees and stepped on mossy rocks. The sounds of their breathing and occasional laughter, reverberating through the quiet woods. Roman was just barely leading, but Peter was beginning to pull ahead, when suddenly Roman went down and Peter went right down with him.

Once again, Peter was lying on the back of Roman Godfrey, but this time instead of Romans barking voice, there was laughter emanating from him. Peter's first feeling was one of shock, and then he realized the situation and he too began laughing. He rolled off of Roman, still laughing. And Roman rolled onto his side so that he faced Peter.